Dr Philip Boulcott
Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 3528
Address: Marine Scotland, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, Scotland, UK
My current research is concerned with detecting impacts in the marine environment, how spatial planning can alleviate this pressure, models of species distribution, and how environmental pressures, such as climate change, act upon the life history strategies of animals. This work helps to underpin and support the Scottish MPA network and the sustainable use of Scotland’s seas.
I collaborate with scientists across the UK, Europe and North America, most notably involved in ICES processes and the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive. My current collaborations are with the Universities of Aberdeen, the University of Strathclyde, the University of Auckland and the University of Glasgow. I also work in collaboration with Scottish Natural Heritage and the Joint Nature Conservation Committee, advising and in the monitoring of the seabed within Scottish waters.
External Committees and Responsibilities
Within Europe, I am an alternate member for ACOM, ICES’s advisory council, focussing on benthic impact and environmental assessment. My UK roles require me to be an active member of HBDSEG Benthic working group, a member of UK Marine Monitoring and Assessment Strategy (UKMMAS) evidence groups, and the Scottish Habitat and Species Assessment Group (SHSAG). I provide advice to both the Scottish and UK Governments and to International fora such as ICES.
Five Most Recent Publications
- Boulcott, P., Clarke, J., & Wright, P. J. (2017). Effect of size on spawning time in the lesser sandeel Ammodytes marinus. Journal of Fish Biology, 91(1), 362–367. https://doi.org/10.1111/jfb.13341
- Wright, P. J., Orpwood, J. E., & Boulcott, P. (2017). Warming delays ovarian development in a capital breeder. Marine Biology, 164(4). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00227-017-3116-y
- Murray, F., Copland, P., Boulcott, P., Robertson, M., & Bailey, N. (2016). Impacts of electrofishing for razor clams (Ensis spp.) on benthic fauna. Fisheries Research, 174, 40–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fishres.2015.08.028
- Stirling, D. A., Boulcott, P., Scott, B. E., & Wright, P. J. (2016). Using verified species distribution models to inform the conservation of a rare marine species. Diversity and Distributions, 22(7), 808–822. https://doi.org/10.1111/ddi.12447
- Greathead, C., Gonzalez-Irusta, J. M., Clarke, J., Boulcott, P., Blackadder, L., Weetman, A., & Wright, P. J. (2015). Environmental requirements for three sea pen species: relevance to distribution and conservation. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 72(2), 576–586. https://doi.org/10.1093/icesjms/fsu129
0300 244 4000