Dr Marion Harrald
Renewable and Energy Programme
Renewable Energy and Environmental Advice Group
Marine Scotland Science, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, UK
Details of specialism
I currently specialise in impacts of marine renewable developments (MREDS) on seabed habitats and species. I have research experience in conservation of benthic communities, impacts of trawling on the benthos, automated image analysis, marine habitat mapping, bathymetric and side-scan survey and post-processing, underwater video and biotope classification and scientific diving.
My current role is to:
- advise the Marine Scotland Licensing team on benthic impacts of marine renewable and marine construction casework
- advise Scottish Government policy on conservation and sustainable exploitation of benthic species and habitats
- identify knowledge gaps related to impacts on the benthic environment of marine renewable energy developments and facilitate research to address these
Main policy links
- marine planning and development
- marine conservation
- marine renewables licencing
External committees and responsibilities
- lead the benthic Scottish Marine Energy Research (ScotMER) specialist team
- active member of the ICES Working Group (WGMBRED) on Marine Benthal and Renewable Energy Developments
- member of the OSPAR Kelp Forest working group
- former member of ICES Working Group on Marine Habitat Mapping
- participate in Regional Advisory Group meetings (BOWL and Moray East and Firth and Tay)
- member of task group for replacement for MRV Scotia
- member of MSS Athena SWAN team - career break and flexible working subgroups – MSS achieved a Bronze Award in 2020
Papers of relevance
Pearce B and Kimber J (2020) The Status of Sabellaria spinulosa Reef off the Moray Firth and Aberdeenshire Coasts and Guidance for Conservation of the Species off the Scottish East Coast. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science 11, No 17. 100pp.
Blowers S, Evans JE and McNally K (2020) Automated Identification of Fish and Other Aquatic Life in Underwater Video. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science 11, No 18. 62pp.
ICES (2019) Working Group on Marine Benthal and Renewable Energy Developments (WGMBRED). ICES Scientific Reports 1, 6. 95 pp.
Harrald M, Hayes PJ and Hall M (2018) Impact of Trawling on the Benthos Around Oil and Gas Pipelines. Scottish Marine and Freshwater Science 9, No 13. 25pp.
Harrald M, Hayes PJ, Davies IM and Robertson MR (2013) Contribution of seabed habitat surveys to marine planning for renewable energy developments. In: Integrated coastal-zone risk management. Cormier R, Davies IM and Kannen A (Eds). ICES Cooperative Research Report 320, 107-114.
Marine Scotland Science
PO Box 101
375 Victoria Road
+44 (0)131 244 2500