Dr Kate Brookes
Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 3732
Address: Marine Scotland Science, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, UK
My current research focusses on understanding distributions of marine mammals and their abundance, as well as potential impacts from human activities and the effects these may have on marine mammal populations.
I collaborate with a wide range of colleagues including the University of Aberdeen, the Sea Mammal Research Unit (University of St Andrews), the Scottish Association of Marine Sciences (University of Highlands and Islands) on marine mammal ecology and the National Physical Laboratory and CEFAS on underwater noise.
Member of the ICES Working Group on Marine Mammal Ecology
Member of the NERC Special Committee on Seals
Member of steering groups for the Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Scheme, the Marine Mammal Scientific Support contract, and the Offshore Renewables Joint Industry Programme
- Thompson, P.M., Brookes, K.L. & Cordes, L.S. (2015) Integrating passive acoustic and visual data to model spatial patterns of occurrence in coastal dolphins, ICES Journal of Marine Science 01/2015; 72(2):651-660.
- Bailey, H., Brookes, K.L. & Thompson, P.M. (2014) Assessing environmental impacts of offshore wind farms: lessons learned and recommendations for the future. Aquatic Biosystems 10(1):8
- Pirotta, E., Brookes, K.L., Graham, I.M. & Thompson, P.M. (2014) Variation in harbour porpoise activity in response to seismic survey noise. Biology Letters, 10: 20131090
- Pirotta, E., Thompson, P.M., Miller, P.I., Brookes, K.L., Cheney, B, Barton, T.R., Graham, I.M. & Lusseau, D. (2014) Scale-dependent foraging ecology of a marine top predator modelled using passive acoustic data. Functional Ecology, 28: 206-217
- Thompson, P.M., Brookes, K.L., Graham, I.M., Barton, T.R., Needham, K., Bradbury, G. & Merchant, N.D. (2013) Short-term disturbance by a commercial two-dimensional seismic survey does not lead to long-term displacement of harbour porpoises. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B. 280: 20132001. DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2013.2001
- Brookes, K.L., Bailey, H. & Thompson, P.M. (2013) Predictions from harbor porpoise habitat association models are confirmed by long-term passive acoustic monitoring. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 134: 2523-2533
- Thompson, P.M., Hastie, G.D., Nedwell, J., Barham, R., Brookes, K.L., Cordes, L.S., Bailey, H. & McLean, N. (2013). Framework for assessing impacts of pile-driving noise from offshore wind farm construction on a harbour seal population. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 43: 73-85
0300 244 4000