Dr Campbell Pert
Fisheries Assessment and Advice Programme
Fisheries Assessment Group
Senior Pelagic Advisor
Marine Scotland Science, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, UK
Details of specialism
To provide colleagues working on pelagic fisheries policy with support in the form of scientific advice. Additionally, I work closely with stakeholders in developing an improved evidence base to better inform decision making, and to ensure data flows from the industry are smooth, reliable and of high quality. Much of my role involves collating and analysing data, liaising between Marine Scotland Science and pelagic industry stakeholders as well as supporting initiatives aimed at improving data quality for stock assessments.
Within the broad topic area my particular focuses currently include:
- providing advice on scientific matters pertaining to pelagic fish and fisheries to policy colleagues
- communicating the requirements from policy back to appropriate areas of Marine Scotland Science
- collate and analyse data, and liaise between Marine Scotland Science and pelagic industry stakeholders, in support of initiatives aimed at improving data quality for stock assessments
- assist the Group Leader and Programme Manager in developing new work streams to meet policy requirements
- provide scientific support and advice at external meetings
Main policy links
- pelagic fisheries
- fisheries international negotiations team
- future fisheries management
- future catching policy
- marine planning (science advice)
External committees and responsibilities
- member of the ICES Working Group on Data Limited Stocks of Short Lived Species 2
- invited reviewer for scientific journals
- Aberdeen University – visiting lecturer
- honorary member of staff at Napier University
- STEM ambassador
Papers of relevance
Pert CC, Rabe B, Dunn J, Salama NKG and Collins CM (2017) Developing a method to investigate infestation pressure from sea lice on migratory salmonids utilising towed & static sentinel cages. OCEANS 2017 - Aberdeen, Aberdeen, 2017, pp. 1-8.
Pert CC, Fryer RJ, Cook P, Kilburn R, McBeath S, McBeath A, Matejusova I, Urquhart K, Weir SJ, McCarthy U, Collins C, Amundrud T and Bricknell IR (2014) Using sentinel cages to estimate infestation pressure on salmonids from sea lice in Loch Shieldaig, Scotland. Aquaculture Environmental Interactions 5, 49-59.
Kent AJ, Pert CC, Briers RA, Diele K and Rueckert S (2020) Increasing intensities of Anisakis simplex third-stage larvae (L3) in Atlantic salmon of coastal waters of Scotland. Parasites Vectors 13, 62.
MacKenzie E and Pert C (2018) Evidence for the decline and possible extinction of a marine parasite species caused by intensive fishing. Fisheries Research 198, 63–65.
Harte AJ, Bowman AS, Salama NK and Pert CC (2017) Factors influencing the long-term dynamics of larval sea lice density at east and west coast locations in Scotland. Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 123(3), 181-192.
Marine Scotland Science
PO Box 101
375 Victoria Road
+44 (0)131 244 2500
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback