Dr Alan Baudron
Fisheries Assessment and Advice Programme
Stock Assessment and Modelling Group
Fish population modeller
Marine Scotland Science, Marine Laboratory, 375 Victoria Road, Aberdeen, AB11 9DB, UK
Details of specialism
I am a marine ecologist whose research interests revolve around improving the knowledge and management of our marine resources. I am particularly interested in marine species’ responses to changing environmental conditions and exploitation patterns, and how these affect marine ecosystems’ dynamics and commercial fisheries.
Within the broad topic area my particular focuses currently include:
- assessing the status of the North Sea whiting stock
- contributing to fish stock benchmarks in order to improve stock assessments
- developing multispecies and ecosystem models to account for species interactions and/or environmental drivers
- investigating the impacts of rising sea temperatures on fish growth, and their consequences on fisheries yield
- investigating changes in species distribution and how these could impact fisheries management
Main policy links
- marine fisheries
External committees and responsibilities
- member of the ICES Working Group on the Assessment of Demersal Stocks in the North Sea and Skagerrak
- member of the ICES Working Group on Multispecies Assessment Methods
- chair of the ICES/PICES Working Group on Impacts of Warming on Growth Rates and Fisheries Yields (WGGRAFY)
- chair of the ICES Workshop on Fish Distribution Shifts (WKFISHDISH)
- invited reviewer for scientific journals
Papers of relevance
Baudron, AR, Brunel, T, Blanchet, M-A, Hidalgo, M, Chust, G, Brown, EJ, Kleisner, KM, Millar, C, MacKenzie, BR, Nikolioudakis, N, Fernandes, JA and Fernandes, PG (2020) Changing fish distributions challenge the effective management of European fisheries. Ecography 43(4), 494–505.
Baudron, AR, Pecl, G, Gardner, C, Fernandes, PG, and Audzijonyte, A (2019) Ontogenetic deepening of Northeast Atlantic fish stocks is not driven by fishing exploitation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 116, 2390–2392.
Baudron, AR, Serpetti, N, Fallon, NG, Heymans, JJ and Fernandes, PG (2019) Can the common fisheries policy achieve good environmental status in exploited ecosystems: The west of Scotland demersal fisheries example. Fisheries Research 211, 217–230.
Baudron, AR and Fernandes, PG (2015) Adverse consequences of stock recovery: European hake, a new “choke” species under a discard ban? Fish and Fisheries 16, 563–575.
Baudron, AR, Needle, CL, Rijnsdorp, AD and Tara Marshall, C (2014) Warming temperatures and smaller body sizes: Synchronous changes in growth of North Sea fishes. Global Change Biology 20, 1023–1031.
Details of linked research pages
Marine Scotland Science
PO Box 101
375 Victoria Road
+44 (0)131 244 2500