What success will look like
33% reduction in food waste in Scotland
A greater national understanding of the value of food and of its environmental impact
A 33% reduction in food waste in Scotland will result in the following benefits:
- Food waste in Scotland will be reduced by 290,000 tonnes;
- The Scottish economy will see a net benefit of nearly £2.7 billion;
- Scotland's carbon footprint will reduce by 1.5%.
- We will produce lower methane emissions as less food waste goes into landfill;
- Scotland could realise 27 million tonnes of available bio-resources in Scotland;
- A prospering and dynamic Scottish bio-economy;
- A greater national understanding of the value of food and of its environmental impact.
- A Scottish food culture that respects how food can impact our health, our wellbeing and our communities' cohesion.