"Please can you provide me with the following:
1. The number of completed census forms for 2022.
2. The number of outstanding census forms as at this date.
3. The final date for census forms to be returned.
4. The number of fines (if any) issued for non-completion of a census form.
5. The number of these fines which have been paid and the number which are outstanding as of this date.
6. The average amount fined."
I will answer you questions in turn -
1. 2,260,454 households have submitted a completed census form.
2. 349,968 households are yet to return a completed form.
3. The census day was 20th March, 2022, with the original final date for submitting forms being 1st May, 2022. This was extended by 4 weeks to the 29th May, 2022.
4-6. The Scottish Government does not have the information you have asked for because fines for criminal offences are imposed through the criminal justice process, either by the Procurator Fiscal or by a criminal court. Any proceedings against householders for failure to provide a census return would be dealt with in this way.
However, you may wish to contact Crown Office & Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) at firstname.lastname@example.org who may be able to help you.
This is a formal notice under section 17(1) of FOISA that the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback