1. When was the last structural survey carried out on the M8 tunnels at Charing Cross in Glasgow?
2. What were the findings of this survey?
3. How often are structural surveys carried out on the tunnels?
As the information you have requested is 'environmental information' for the purposes of the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EIRs), we are required to deal with your request under those Regulations. We are applying the exemption at section 39(2) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA), so that we do not also have to deal with your request under FOISA.
This exemption is subject to the 'public interest test'. Therefore, taking account of all the circumstances of this case, we have considered if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption. We have found that, on balance, the public interest lies in favour of upholding the exemption, because there is no public interest in dealing with the same request under two different regimes. This is essentially a technical point and has no material effect on the outcome of your request.
1. The last survey of the Charing Cross Underpass was a Principal Inspection carried out in May 2020.
2. The Principal Inspection noted a moderate amount of spalled concrete and some areas of exposed reinforcement. There were signs of water penetration at several locations, including the supports, which
is causing staining on the tiled surfaces.
3. Inspections are split into 2 categories; Principal Inspections, which are carried out every 6 years, and General Inspections, carried out every 2 years. The next inspection will be a General Inspection in 2022
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback