1. I wish to know how much was spent on the Independent Review Into the Closure of The New School, Butterstone. Please break this down into:
- Remuneration/salary/wages etc
- Legal fees
- Other costs
2. I wish to know how Mr James Martin CBE was recruited to perform this task and what procurement process was used. Please provide details.
I enclose a copy of all of the information you requested in the format you asked for.
1. How much was spent on the Independent Review into the closure of The New School Butterstone?
Expenses: £964.20 (this cost relates to travel expenses incurred)
Legal fees: £6,669.00
Other costs: £603.37 (this cost relates to venue hire for meetings)
Total costs: £39,056.57
2. How Mr James Martin CBE was recruited and what procurement process was used?
Mr Martin was a Ministerial Appointment to which no formal process is attached.
Ministers received advice on potential candidates and following discussions Scottish Government officials made an informal approach to Mr Martin at the start of October 2019 to ask if he would be willing to take on the role of Reviewer for the Review into the closure of The New School Butterstone. Mr Martin indicated that he would be able to accept the appointment. Officials updated the Deputy First Minister, and a formal offer of appointment was made to Mr Martin on 25 October. Mr Martin confirmed in writing on 30 October 2019 that he would take up the appointment. A letter of appointment was subsequently issued to Mr Martin. This set out the terms and conditions of appointment, including the dates, deliverables and payment rates. His appointment was from 6 November 2019 until 30 June 2020 or such date as coincided with the conclusion of the Review.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback