Could you please set out the process followed when a new government minister is appointed? I would like to know the following:
1. Who contacts the newly nominated minister to invite them to Bute House, how they are contacted and when they are contacted
2. What information is provided to the newly nominated minister ahead of their appearance at Bute House
3. What information is provided to the newly nominated minister at Bute House
4. What process is followed to 'on-board' the minister to Scottish Government systems and payroll (perhaps you could provide a process paper)
5. What equipment the new minister is provided with as part of their 'on-boarding'
The government minister appointment process you ask about may change over time. In general terms:
1. Candidates are contacted by the First Minister's Office by telephone. The timing of this call will vary depending on the circumstances surrounding the appointment.
2. No specific information is provided to appointees prior to meeting the First Minister.
3. Once appointed, Ministers are provided with a copy of the Ministerial Code. During their first days in office, Ministers are provided with a wide range of information and briefing appropriate to their Ministerial Role, and Portfolio responsibilities. Ministers are encouraged to participate in an Induction Programme. Following the election, all Ministers have the option of attending additional briefing sessions relating to current cross cutting policy issues such as Climate Change and Equalities issues.
4. While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested. However, you may wish to contact The Scottish Parliament via email@example.com who are responsible for payroll of MSPs and Ministers.
This is therefore a formal notice under section 17(1) of FOISA that the Scottish Government does not have the information you have requested.
5. The Scottish Government’s internal IT system runs on a secure network and Ministers are issued with an approved SCOTS laptop or tablet after appointment.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback