You asked for the following information about the Miscarriage of Justice Compensation schemes which are operated by the Scottish Government:
1. Since January 1st 2016 to December 31st 2020 how many individuals received compensation after being wrongly convicted in Scotland?
2. Since January 1st 2016 to December 31st 2020 how much compensation was received by individuals who were wrongly convicted in Scotland?
3. Since January 1st 2016 to December 31st 2020 how many individuals applications for compensation after being wrongly convicted in Scotland failed?
4. Since January 1st 2016 to December 31st 2020 what was the average length of time individuals who were wrongly convicted in Scotland spent in prison?
5. Since January 1st 2016 to December 31st 2020 what was the average time individuals who successfully received compensation after being wrongly convicted in Scotland spent in prison?
While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance we are unable to provide some of the information you have requested in Questions 1 and 5 because an exemption under section 38(1)(b) (personal information) of FOISA applies to that information. The reasons why that exemption applies are explained in the Annex. However, I can provide answers to Questions 2, 3 and 4.
2. £376,987.00 . This includes interim payments and payments made to individuals who were found to be eligible before 1 January 2016.
3. There are 10 individuals. This includes applicants where the Scottish Government has issued a determination that the eligibility criteria for the two compensation schemes have not been met and who have subsequently appealed the decision, which remains pending.
4. Information not held
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback