- 15 Sep 2020
Date received: 24 Jul 2020
Date responded: 20 Aug 2020
1. Information contained in any discussions, recruitment and other information relating to the appointment of Ewen Campbell as standing counsel for the Scottish Government in 2018?
2. The selection process used to appoint Ewen Campbell as standing counsel to the Scottish Government and agencies?
3. How much Ewen Campbell has earned in this position as standing counsel to the Scottish Government and any other legal services or representation he has provided to the Scottish Government and agencies?
4. What identified cases Ewen Campbell has worked on and represented the Scottish Government and agencies (and in which courts, tribunals and other venues) since his appointment and to the date of this FOI request?
1. I attach a copy of some of the information you requested in relation to the recruitment of Ewen Campbell.
While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance we are unable to provide a small amount of the information you have requested because an exemption under section s.38(1)(b) (personal information) of FOISA applies. This is because it is the personal data of a third party, i.e. names/contact details of individuals, and disclosing it would contravene the data protection principles in Article 5(1) of the General Data Protection Regulation and in section 34(1) of the Data Protection Act 2018. This exemption is not subject to the ‘public interest test’, so we are not required to consider if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption
2. The selection process used for appointing standing juniors to the Scottish Government is as follows:
- An advert goes to the faculty of advocates and society of solicitor advocates;
- Applications are then sifted and successful candidates are invited to Interview;
- Suitable candidates are then recommend for appointment to the Lord Advocate;
- Appointment letters are then issued to the successful candidates.
3. Ewen Campbell has earned £22,080
4. There has been two case where Ewen Campbell has represented Scottish Government at the Court of Sesion;
a) Pentland Ferries Limited and Salmon Net Fishing Association.
The Agencies have not instructed Ewen Campbell.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House