Emergency dental centres: FOI release
- Population Health Directorate
Information request and response under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
The following questions on Emergency Dental Centres
1. What types of emergency dental centres are there available here in Scotland, and why is there no relevant practical information being made available to the public?
2. Are the practicing dentists at emergency dental centres tested for Covid 19 and are the clients tested for Covid 19 before any treatment is administered?
3. What types of treatments are offered at each of the centres?
4. How many emergency centres in Scotland are available to the public as at 1st May 2020?
5. What are the mechanisms for access?
6. Is there available information available on the dentists' qualifications and experience, and if so where is that information available?
7. Please provide details of the safety mechanisms in place for each party concerned in any dental treatment process.
8. Are there certain sections of society that are able to access treatment of their own choice - for example are the Ministers, doctors etc. able to access the dental treatment they need in an alternative manner?
The Scottish Government regularly releases information about its COVID-19 response through its daily televised briefings and information published online.
In respect of question 1, to ensure that urgent dental care is available to those who need it, including those showing symptoms of Covid-19, urgent dental care centres have been established in every NHS Board across Scotland.
The information you have requested in questions 3,5,6,& 7 (and additionally to question 1) is available from the links below or from the relevant NHS Board:
For questions 2, 4 and 8 the responses are as follows:
2. All urgent care centres have the appropriate infection control measures in place and full personal protective equipment (PPE).
4. There are 56 emergency dental care centres in operation across Scotland.
8. No. Everyone is prioritised according to their oral health needs. Patients are triaged by their dental practice on the basis of that oral health need, and may be seen by an urgent dental care centre depending on what treatment they require, as set out in national guidance for the Management of Acute Dental Problems During COVID-19 Pandemic (NES, 30 March 2020).
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback