- 20 Dec 2019
Date received: 5 Dec 2019
Date responded: 20 Dec 2019
You asked for “the number of road traffic accidents that took place on 14th November 2018 on the M876. I would also be grateful if you would confirm the number of road traffic accidents that took place between Saturday 10th November until Saturday 17th November 2018 on the M876. Lastly, please confirm which of these accidents were ‘damage only’ accidents and which accidents involved injury”.
As the information you have requested is ‘environmental information’ for the purposes of the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EIRs), we are required to deal with your request under those Regulations. We are applying the exemption at section 39(2) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA), so that we do not also have to deal with your request under FOISA.
This exemption is subject to the ‘public interest test’. Therefore, taking account of all the circumstances of this case, we have considered if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption. We have found that, on balance, the public interest lies in favour of upholding the exemption, because there is no public interest in dealing with the same request under two different regimes. This is essentially a technical point and has no material effect on the outcome of your request
While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance Transport Scotland does not have some of the information you have requested. Therefore we are refusing your request under the exception at regulation 10(4)(a) of the EIRs. This I because we do not hold ‘damage only’ incident records.
Between Saturday 10 November 2018 and Saturday 17 November 2018 there was 1 road traffic accident, this being on the 14 November 2018.
This accident was recorded as slight with 2 casualties.
Source: Transport Scotland Accident Manager Database
Statistics for the Central Division of Police Scotland
Date Period: 10/11/2018 - 17/11/2018
Date Extracted - 6 December 2019
Please note that the information provided is based on the current figures available. The following are potential reasons for an accident not appearing on our system:
- Transport Scotland only holds accident information which is provided to us by Police Scotland.
- Transport Scotland does not hold information relating to damage only accidents (i.e. not involving an injury).
- Transport Scotland only holds accident information for the trunk road network.
- The accident information Transport Scotland holds is subject to change. E.g. we receive late returns from Police Scotland, who are responsible for recording details of injury accidents.
- Annual Scottish accident figures are published by Transport Scotland on a yearly basis and can be found by entering Reported Road Casualties Scotland into your search engine.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House