- 24 Apr 2019
Date received: 03/04/2019
Date responded: 23/04/2019
2. One - the primary data centre is owned by Scottish Government.
3. The reports noted below were commissioned to ascertain the suitability and sustainability of the data centres, they are not available for public viewing.
2008 Feasibility Study
2014 Review of Current Building Services Tier Rating
2016 Condition Survey Report of Mechanical and Electrical Assets
Secondary Data Centre :
2008 Assessment and Recommendation Report
2008 Data Centre Site Review Report
2008 Survey Report - IT Security
2018 Cloud First Hosting Strategy
5. The breakdown of customers within the primary data centre is Scottish Government 40%, Other Public Sector 25%, spare capacity 35%.
6. Four customers have reduced their rack space in the past 5 years.
7. Three customers have increased their rack space in the past 5 years.
8. Apart from normal operating and maintenance there is no planned investment in the primary data centre.
10. The Cloud First Hosting Strategy report demonstrated that the present mix of services and platforms they run on make it more cost effective for Scottish Government to operate its own data centre. This situation is expected to change over the course of the next 2 to 3 years as technology refresh exercises are completed, and new services are developed in the cloud, causing a reduction of our data centre footprint. Consequently the economic viability of operating a Scottish Government data centre will diminish.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House