- 4 Jul 2017
FOI reference: FOI/17/01256
Date received: 5 June 2017
Date responded: 3 July 2017
1. Please can you provide the field names of the data collected at national level from:
a) pupils in Scotland
b) workforce (teachers) in Scotland
c) please provide in a table format (perhaps as excel or .csv file)
1. (a) Answer:
The Data Specifications contains details of the fields collected and are published annually.
Note on Data Specifications: Not all data fields are provided to Scottish Government Education Directorate (formerly known as SEED). If "sent to SEED" = N, then this data is not returned to Scottish Government.
Pupil Census The purpose of this collection is to obtain accurate data on publicly funded schools and their pupils. Data is used for statistical analysis and to support evidence-based policy making.
Attendance, Absence and Exclusions Data collected from schools, via Scottish local authorities, accurate data on Attendance, Absence and Exclusions for each pupil. Data is used for statistical analysis and to support evidence-based policy making.
Achievement of Curriculum for Excellence To obtain a list of P1, P4, P7 and S3 pupils, together with ALL pupils in standalone special schools (SP),along with their latest Curriculum for Excellence level achieved (based on teacher professional judgements) at the Census date. Data is used for statistical analysis and to support evidence-based policy making.
1. (b) Answer:
Staff Census The purpose of this collection is to obtain accurate data on school staff annually. Data is used for statistical analysis and to support evidence-based policy making.
1. (c) Answer
No additional information required as all data collection supporting documentation is published in a suitable format.
2. Please provide the names of both national databases as referenced internally, and year(s) from when the first data in the database exist.
We hold datasets for the collections listed above (three for pupil level data and one for staff level data):
- School/Pupil Census from 2007 onwards, internally known as "SCH".
- Attendance, Absence and Exclusions from 2006 onwards, internally known as "AAE".
- Achievement of Curriculum for Excellence from 2016 onwards, internally known as "TJ" (Teacher Judgements).
- Staff Census from 2006 onwards, internally known as "STA".
3. Please provide a list of organisations to whom pupil level data has been passed from the national pupil data system, at what level and for what purposes. Preferably in a table format similar to that available in England: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-pupil-database-requests-received
We do not collect names through the pupil or staff census and so these are not shared with researchers. Other potentially identifying data are only shared where there is a clear need for the data in order to achieve the aims of the data sharing. Where possible privacy enhancing techniques are used to further reduce the potentially identifying data shared with researchers.
Appendix A is attached which contains individual pupil level data exchanges. Information has been provided from 2011 onwards which was in an accessible format. To provide data before 2011 would exceed the upper limit cost of £600 for FOI requests.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrew's House