Table 4: Firearm Certificates - number of firearms possessed on certificate and number of additional firearms authorised to be purchased or acquired on certificate, Scotland, as at 31 December 2012
|Type of Weapon||Weapons in Tayside Police5||Total|
|Section 1 Shotgun1||Rifle||Handgun2|| Carbine ||Muzzleloader||Air weapon3||Miscellaneous4|
|Under Lever||Bolt Action||Rifle||Handgun||Rifle||Handgun|
|Authorised to be purchased/acquired||301||5,289||69||8||7||79||82||107||-||1,309||2,216||9,467|
1. Any smooth-bore gun which has a barrel of less than 24 inches in length, has a magazine which takes more than two cartridges or has a removable magazine.
2. Includes those weapons which were exempt from the Firearms (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 1997, e.g. single shot humane killers, shot pistols, trophies of war, antique firearms and 'handguns' used by the SSPCA.
3. For further information on the types of air weapons that a firearm certificate is required for please see Note 4.3.3.
4. Includes weapons such as Section 5 firearms, tranquillising rifles, etc.
5. For technical reasons, Tayside Police are unable to provide a breakdown of firearms by weapon type.
Email: Neil Henderson