Written Record of fisheries consultations on 17 October 2023 between the European Union and the United Kingdom on Norway Pout (Trisopterus esmarkii) in ICES division 3a, UK and Union waters of sub-area 4, and UK waters of division 2a, (North Sea) from 1 November 2023 to 31 October 2024
1. The Trade and Cooperation Agreement (‘the TCA’) between the United Kingdom (UK) and the European Union (EU) includes the objective of cooperating with a view to ensuring that fishing activities for shared stocks in their waters are environmentally sustainable in the long term and contribute to achieving economic and social benefits, and requires the Parties to hold consultations annually to agree the total allowable catches (TACs) for the following year for the stocks listed in Annex 35 to the TCA. Norway Pout (North Sea) (NOP/2A3A4) is included in that Annex.
2. A Delegation from the European Union headed by Dr Norman GRAHAM and a Delegation from the United Kingdom headed by Ms Imogen CESSFORD met in a virtual format on 16 October 2023 to consult on fishing opportunities for Norway Pout (North Sea) (NOP/2A3A4) from 1 November 2023 to 31 October 2024 in accordance with Article 498 (Fishing Opportunities) of the TCA. This Written Record documents the outcome of those consultations.
3. The Heads of Delegations agreed to recommend to their respective authorities the fishery arrangements from 1 November 2023 to 31 October 2024 outlined in this Written Record, including Annex 1. Accordingly, where this Written Record refers to the Delegations (or the Parties) having agreed on a matter, it should be read as an agreement to recommend to the Delegations’ respective authorities to implement the arrangements in this Written Record, including Annex 1.
4. The Delegations agreed to establish a total allowable catch (TAC) from 1 November 2023 to 31 October 2024 of 10 292 tonnes. Details of the TAC and each Party’s allocation are shown in Annex 1.
5. Noting that the comparatively small total allowable catch for 1 November 2023-31 October 24 is most likely to be landed during November and December 2023, the Parties agree that it is more appropriate to apply the EU-UK TCA quota shares for 2023 to the whole TAC.
6. The other relevant arrangements for Norway Pout (North Sea) set out in paragraph 5 of the Written Record of fisheries consultations between the United Kingdom and the European Union for 2023, signed on 20 December 2022 and amended on 22 March 2023 and 4 May 2023, will continue to apply.
For the European Union
For the United Kingdom
|Code||Common name||ICES areas||Agreed Total Allowable Catch (tonnes)||TCA TAC share (%)||TCA quota (tonnes)||Transfer to/from EU (tonnes)||UK post-transfer quota (tonnes)|
|NOP/2A3A4||Norway Pout (North Sea)
|3a; United Kingdom and European Union waters of 4; United Kingdom waters of 2a||10 292(1)||20.00%||2 058||2 058(3)|
|Code||Common name||ICES areas||Agreed Total Allowable Catch (tonnes)||TCA TAC share (%)||TCA quota (tonnes)||Transfer to/from UK (tonnes)||EU post-transfer quota (tonnes)|
|NOP/2A3A4||Norway Pout (North Sea)
|3a; United Kingdom and European Union waters of 4; United Kingdom waters of 2a||10 292(1)||80.00%||8 234||8 234(2)(3)|
(1) TAC may only be fished from 1 November 2023 to 31 October 2024.
(2) Up to 5 % of the quota may consist of by-catches of haddock and whiting (OT2/*2A3A4). By-catches of haddock and whiting counted against the quota pursuant to this provision and by-catches of species counted against the quota pursuant to Article 15(8) of Regulation (EU) No 1380/2013 shall, together, not exceed 9 % of the quota.
(3) Quota may be fished in 3a, United Kingdom and European Union waters of 4; United Kingdom waters of 2a only.
- File type
- 4 page PDF
- File size
- 203.1 kB
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback