Energy Performance Certificates for new dwellings and non-domestic buildings: guidance

Information on Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) relating to new construction, both dwelling and non-domestic buildings, EPC-02.

When do I have to produce an Energy Performance Certificate?

An energy performance certificate (EPC) is required as part of the building warrant process. This has to be submitted with other documentation when applying for a completion certificate. The local authority who acts as a 'verifier' must accept the completion certificate submitted by the building warrant applicant before the building can be occupied. An EPC is required on completion of any new building, except where a building falls into one of three categories. These are:

  • buildings which do not use fuel or power for controlling the temperature of the internal environment
  • non-domestic buildings and buildings that are ancillary to a dwelling that are standalone having an area less than 50 square metres
  • limited life buildings which have an intended life of less than 2 years.

Who can produce the certificate?

If the building warrant application was submitted to the local authority on or after 9 January 2013 the EPC must be produced by a member of an approved organisation (refer to guidance leaflet EPC 01 for further details). If the building warrant was submitted and accepted before this date, the EPC may be produced by any party and will be subject to checking by the local authority.

In all cases, a copy of the EPC must be submitted with the completion certificate. If, for example, you are employing an agent, architect, services engineer or surveyor, they should provide the information you require on this process.

My building consists of both flats and non-domestic buildings, what type of EPC do I need?

An EPC will be required for each dwelling and a further EPC for the non-domestic part or parts of the building. Where individual parts of the non-dwelling parts of a building are designed or altered to be used separately (e.g. retail units within a shopping mall), separate EPCs may be produced for each building unit part rather than one certificate. The benefit of this approach may depend on the complexity and subdivision of the building spaces. The EPC assessor will provide advice on the most suitable option for the building in such cases.

More information

We also produce a number of other EPC guidance documents that deal with specific issues:




Back to top