Cost of Scottish flood protection schemes: EIR release

Information request and response under the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004.

Information requested

The most recent estimated costs of all the flood protection schemes across Scotland, including schemes that have been finished and ones that are still in progress, and should be broken down into the costs incurred by the Scottish Government and the respective local councils.

As the information you have requested is 'environmental information' for the purposes of the Environmental Information (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (EIRs), we are required to deal with your request under those Regulations. We are applying the exemption at section 39(2) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA), so that we do not also have to deal with your request under FOISA.

This exemption is subject to the 'public interest test'. Therefore, taking account of all the circumstances of this case, we have considered if the public interest in disclosing the information outweighs the public interest in applying the exemption. We have found that, on balance, the public interest lies in favour of upholding the exemption, because there is no public interest in dealing with the same request under two different regimes. This is essentially a technical point and has no material effect on the outcome of your request.


Most of the information you requested, in relation to Schemes that are still in progress, is available from the Scottish Parliament website Written question and answer: S6W-12674 | Scottish Parliament Website. This is the most up to date information that the Scottish Government holds. Under regulation 6(1)(b) of the EIRs, we do not have to give you information which is already publicly available and easily accessible to you in another form or format. If, however, you do not have internet access to obtain this information from the website(s) listed, then please contact me again and I will send you a paper copy.

The costs of the formal flood protection schemes that are now complete are set below.

Scheme Initial Cost (£ million) Final Cost (£ million)
Greenock Cove 0.4 0.025
Huntly 4.9 3.8
Newmill 1.9 1.8
Dundee 6.2 6.9
Kirkwall 1.8 1.8
White Cart Water Phase 3 5.9 7.2
Camlachie Burn 1.2 1.7
Smithton and Culloden 15.2 13.0
Bouvrie Burn 0.4 0.4
Drumnadroicht 3.4 5.7
New Cumnock Phase 1 Complete Phase 2 Under construction 3.3 8.3
Broughty Ferry 10 16.3

The Scottish Government provides 80% of the eligible costs of these Schemes through the general capital grant and the local authority contributes the remaining 20%.

About FOI

The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at


Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000

The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
Regent Road

Back to top