Publication - Advice and guidance

Coronavirus (COVID-19): support to childcare sector

Published: 22 Dec 2020
Last updated: 4 Oct 2021 - see all updates

Guidance on the daycare services for children in light of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): support to childcare sector
Childminders: financial support

Childminders: business and financial support

This information applies to childminders and sets out the range of business and financial support that has been made available.

You may be able to access some support measures regardless of whether your setting is open or closed. 

Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) Grant Extension

The UK Government has extended the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme (SEISS) until 30 September 2021.

Claims for the fifth SEISS grant have now closed. The last date for making a claim was 30 September 2021.

Other sources of support

  • if you are not eligible for the Self-employment Income Support Scheme  then you may be able to access support through Universal Credit.. You can find out more information about Universal Credit and how to apply on the site.
  • if you have had to self-isolate, and can no longer offer your service, then you may be able to make a claim for the New Style Employment and Support Allowance.
  • if you have been asked by Test and Protect to self-isolate, you might be able to access support through the £500 Self-Isolation Support Grant.
  • if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week, you may be eligible for Carer’s Allowance if you, the person you care for and the type of care you provide meets certain criteria. Carer's Allowance is currently delivered in Scotland by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on behalf of Scottish Ministers.
  • Taxpayers with up to £30,000 of Self-Assessment liabilities due will now be able to use HMRC’s self-service Time to Pay facility to secure a plan to pay over an additional 12 months.
  • you may be eligible for a council tax reduction which will reduce your council tax, potentially to zero depending on your circumstances. Your local authority will be able to provide more information. If your income or earnings are impacted by COVID-19 and you are struggling to meet your next council tax payment you should discuss this as soon as possible with your local authority by phone or using their website.
  • if as a result of COVID-19 you are experiencing difficulties with paying your energy bills, or paying back personal loans of credit card bills, then please contact your energy provider or lender to explore payment plans.

First published: 22 Dec 2020 Last updated: 4 Oct 2021 -