Publication - Minutes

Coronavirus (COVID-19): PPE Strategy and Governance Board minutes: 29 October 2020

Published: 1 Dec 2020
Date of meeting: 29 Oct 2020
Date of next meeting: 12 Nov 2020

Minutes from the meeting of the board on 29 October 2020.

Published:
1 Dec 2020
Coronavirus (COVID-19): PPE Strategy and Governance Board minutes: 29 October 2020

Attendees and apologies

Attendees:    

  • Richard McCallum (RM) (Chair)
  • Julie Welsh (JW)
  • Nick Ford (NF)
  • Gordon Beattie (GB)
  • Alison Bell (AB)
  • Fiona Bennett (FB) 
  • Jim Wilson (JWi)
  • Chris Dunne (CD) 
  • Andy McLaughlin (AM)
  • Cat Dalrymple (CD)
  • Anna Kynaston (AK)
  • Andrew Cairney (AC) (Secretariat)

Apologies: 

  • Dermot Rhatigan (DR)
  • David Leven (DL)
  • Colin Macbean (CM)
  • Alison Cumming (ACu)

Items and actions

Welcome and introductions 

RM opened the meeting, welcomed the attendees and thanked everyone at the meeting for their contributions and work on the PPE Action which was published on Wednesday 28th October.

Minutes from 15 October 2020 and actions outstanding

AC gave an overview of the actions from the previous meeting. The minutes were agreed by board members.

PPE Sustainability Strategy action plan

AB gave an update on the PPE Acton Plan:

  • AB thanked all on the board for their contributions and work towards the publication of the PPE Action Plan
  • confirmation that the document hadn’t changed in too much detail since the last discussion on the content of the plan on the board meeting of 15/10/2020
  • there may be a press release in the coming days to formally announce the document but was still to be confirmed

PPE action plan annex A

AB provided an overview on each of the three papers listed below.

Paper 1 – revised annex A; Paper 2 – overview documents; Paper 3 – sample dashboard

AB noted that “Annex A” was the supporting action log to the Action Plan. It is likely to change its name.

AB introduced Papers 2 and 3 first, which set out proposed process.

The Board agreed the actions set out in Paper 2, and noted with thanks the dashboard in Paper 3, with the following points:

  • an engagement working group was proposed. The Board was broadly content but wanted to consider how this would fit with an already cluttered governance landscape. AB said that STUC, Cosla and others would likely wish to have close involvement.  AB also noted JWi point regarding involving external organisations from the Justice/Third sector to support a more joined up approach.

Action 14.1: RM, CJ and AB to discuss the proposed engagement group and how it could work.

  • populated versions of the dashboard against each action will be ready for discussion in two weeks-time, ready for the next board meeting

Action 14.2: JS to ensure this action is ready for the next meeting.

CD made reference to some organisations in the community justice third sector facing challenges obtaining PPE and especially those organisations that are working across multiple local authorities. JW noted the Scotland Excel’s free associate membership offering to give third sector organisations access to PPE and other frameworks. AB said that voluntary organisations providing essential services can also go on the Lyreco framework. 

Action 14.3: AB and JW to discuss the challenges faced by community justice third sector organisations.

NF and other Board members made some suggestions for improving the dashboard all of which were accepted. 

Action 14.4: JS to ensure these changes are incorporated for the next meeting:

  • add the option of a Blue RAG status
  • add Trend arrows (trending up or down)
  • add actions planned for the next period
  • add escalation points

AB ran through all 19 action points within the plan – some tweaks agreed to a range of the points. There will be another version in place before the team starts reporting on these to the next meeting.

Action 14.4: JS/AB to ensure this action is ready for the next meeting.

Scottish Enterprise to be added as the owner of action point 10 and will also start engagement with Scotland Excel to ensure all potential suppliers are aware of potential opportunities that will be arising through the Public Contracts Scotland Advertising portal.  

RM made reference to action point 19 and noted that conversations are happening a UKG level.

JWi asked if there had been anything done by UKG of note to this work. AB noted PPE VAT relief was being removed. The Board agreed to ask Caroline Jack for a read-out of the four-nations work at its next meeting.

Action 14.5: JW to share a copy Scotland Excel’s free associate membership offer for third sector bodies which AC will share within the minutes.

Action 14.6: Add UKG work to agenda for next meeting and get a read-out from Caroline Jack

AOB

JW asked GB if the previously discussed “One Scotland Approach to PPE” had progressed. GB noted this was still a good idea to form a collaborative approach and will contact JW directly to take it forward.

Meeting closed.

Date of next meeting – 12th November 2020 @ 1615.