Attendees and apologies
- Caroline Jack (CJ) (Chair)
- Julie Welsh (JW)
- Colin MacBean (CM)
- Nick Ford (NF)
- Gordon Beattie (GB)
- Alison Bell (AB)
- Jane Hamilton (JH)
- Alex McMahon (AM)
- Jayne Sledmore (JS) (Secretariat)
- Fiona Bennett (FB)
- Richard McCallum (RM)
- Dermot Rhatigan (DR)
- David Leven (DL)
- Chris Dunne (CD)
- Cat Dalrymple (CD)
- Jim Wilson (JWi)
Items and actions
Welcome and introductions
CJ opened the meeting and welcomed the attendees including AM who was attending for the first time and JH who would be providing an update on Brexit planning.
Minutes from 17 September 2020 and actions outstanding
JS gave an overview of the actions from the previous meeting. The minutes were agreed by board members.
JH, Head of Business Management and EU Withdrawal gave the board an update on planning for the end of the Transition Period:
- the focus of current work is on the end of the transition period that ends on 31 December 2020. During the transition period, membership was retained to the single market and customs union
- work is being done on preparing for no deal or a basic deal
- the work being done is to mitigate for disruption at ports by holding stock where possible within the UK
- provision has been put in place to allow for air freighting of critical supplies. This is likely to be for medications with a short shelf life. In addition, the Department for Transport (DfT) has let ferry contracts to bring in priority, Category One goods (medicines and medical products) via ports away from the short straits
GB asked if there would be access into Scottish ports such as Grangemouth. JH confirmed that Transport Scotland are reviewing entry points into Scotland for air and sea.
- JH to confirm the entry points into Scotland and share with the Board
AB updated that the publication of the Action Plan has been withdrawn due to the FMs announcement last week of restrictions across the central belt. With the additional time PPE Division are making final tweaks but will be locking down the text tomorrow.
It looks likely that the Action Plan will be published on 27 October 2020 to coincide with a debate in parliament on winter preparedness.
- AB to circulate the final version of the Action Plan to board members
Action plan annex A
JS gave an overview of the products that would be developed to support the Annex A implementation project. These will include –
- project overview
- R and I log
- reporting mechanism/dashboard
- communication map
- revised and more visually appealing annex A
JS highlighted that work was being undertaken to compare the Action Plan and Annex A by the project team to ensure all actions are captured. JS asked the board for feedback on engagement with stakeholders and their view on the priority of the actions.
The following comments were received:
- there should be engagement with clinicians
- data modelling should take precedent along with scenario planning and
- interdependencies between other pieces of work should be evidenced and considered
- JS to draft project documentation and present at the next board
PPE group landscape
JS presented an updated PPE Group Landscape document to the board.
There are formal reporting links between some NHS led groups however the majority have no reporting or tasking links to eachother. It was agreed that this is a very crowded landscape and that there is scope to perhaps merge and streamline the number of groups.
- JS to contact the chairs of the other groups and invite to a meeting to discuss the landscape to clarify the various PPE decision forums and check whether current arrangements are efficient
There was no AOB raised.
Date of next meeting – 29th October 2020 @ 1615.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback