Publication - Minutes

Coronavirus (COVID-19): PPE Strategy and Governance Board minutes: 10 December 2020

Published: 1 Feb 2021
Date of meeting: 10 Dec 2020

Minutes from the meeting of the PPE Strategy and Governance Board on 10 December 2020.

Published:
1 Feb 2021
Coronavirus (COVID-19): PPE Strategy and Governance Board minutes: 10 December 2020

Attendees and apologies

  • Caroline Jack (CJ) (Chair)
  • Alan Morrison (AM)
  • Julie Welsh (JW)
  • Nick Ford (NF)
  • Gordon Beattie (GB)
  • Alison Bell (AB)
  • Andrew Fowlie (AF)
  • Duncan Simpson (DS)
  • Jim Wilson (JWi)
  • Chris Taylor (CT)
  • Robert Henderson (RH)
  • Dermot Rhatigan (DR)
  • Mhairi Roberts (MR),
  • Catriona Dalrymple (CD),
  • Fiona Bennett (FB),
  • Lee Hegarty (LH),
  • Andy McLaughlin (AMc),
  • Dr Benjamin Parcell (BP),
  • Graeme Houston (GH),
  • Jayne Sledmore (JS),
  • Christopher Bierley (CB),
  • Irene Keith (Secretariat).

Items and actions

Welcome and introductions

CJ opened the meeting and welcomed the attendees, in particular Alan Morrison who will be chairing the PPE Strategy & Governance Board from January onwards. 

Minutes from 26 November 2020 and actions outstanding

JS gave an overview of the actions from the previous meeting.  The minutes were agreed by board members.

NF asked that Graeme Cook, from Scottish Procurement and Property Directorate be invited to the next PPE Strategy & Governance Board to give an update on Action 15.2.

Action 16.1 – Graeme Cook to be invited to the next PPE Strategy and Governance Board - Secretariat.

Update on Re-useable PPE  

Andrew Fowlie Chief Scientists Office (CSO), Prof Graeme Houston Clinical Lead for Innovation North of Scotland Region and Dr Benjamin Parcell Clinical Lead for the SBRI initiative gave an overview to attendees on the PPE Innovation Project that will commence in January 2021. 

The project will be led by the CSO, working with NHS Tayside.  The project will consider the opportunities to innovate re-useable PPE; decontamination; and surface cleaning.  The project will commence in January and will be advertised to suppliers via Public Contracts Scotland and the HIAP website in January and bid evaluation following in February.  The 12 month product evaluation will commence in April.  Transport Scotland are undertaking a similar project therefore there is a plan to co-ordinate both projects. 

MR highlighted that there is a need to consider wider applications of this product beyond healthcare sector.  AF agreed and advised that this work can apply across all sectors with NHS being used as the test bed.

Update on EU Exit

Robert Henderson from the HSC EU Withdrawal Team gave an update to attendees on the current EU Exit situation and plans.

If a deal is made prior before the 31st December 2020, given the timescales, it will be a basic deal.  A deal would be likely to be limited to data sharing, regulatory guidelines and trade tariffs.  The impact on day 1 is likely to include additional paperwork due to customs checks on both sides and the need to utilise new IT systems. 

Robust contingency plans are in place which include  a 4 month stock of PPE items for HSC and pharmaceutical companies stockpiling 6 weeks supply of medicines within the UK.

CT was concerned that those out with HSC are not prepared and could potentially burden NSS with their PPE needs.  JW shared those concerns but added that some councils are holding stocks.  There is a meeting being held on 18 December 2020 to discuss there being one PPE framework for Scotland in the future. 

Nations Work

CJ and GB gave an update on the current work being done by the 4 Nations on PPE.  These meetings take place on  a monthly basis and are hosted by the Department of Health & Social Care.  Discussions recently have included the SG seeking a more long terms strategic relationship, CE marking and the potential need for easement to be extended – GB confirmed we will keep our existing standards.

PPE Action Plan – Supporting Actions

JS gave an overview of the current position of the PPE Action Plan – Supporting Actions.  No comments were received by the board.

PPE Landscape and Escalation

JS presented a paper on the PPE Landscape and Escalation.  The paper looked to address the multitude of groups discussing PPE and how strategic issues can be fed to the board via the PPE Division.  This also addresses the requirement in the PPE Action Plan to have a route of escalation for PPE issue being experienced by end users.

NF agreed we should be joining up the various PPE Groups and that the Board should act to bring them together.

Updated Terms of Reference

JS spoke through the changes that had been made to the Terms of Reference.  This primarily included changing the focus from the PPE Sustainability Strategy to the PPE Action Plan. 

Action 16.2 – In the New Year the TOR will need to reflect the changes in personnel and this will need to be published online. 

Date of next meeting

It was agreed that the board would next meet on 7 January 2021 @ 1615 to mainly discuss the impact of EU Exit.  An update to the PPE Action Plan – Supporting Actions will not be provided. 

AOB

CJ thanked JS and FB for their support with the Board as this was their last meeting.  AM thanked CJ for her excellent chairing of the meeting and her work over the last few months. 

Meeting closed.