The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Requirements) (Scotland) Regulations 2021 came into force on in October 2021. They put in place Covid certification.
On 6 December the regulations were updated so unless exempt, everyone attending settings covered by the scheme must be able to show they have been fully vaccinated, or that they have a record of a negative rapid lateral flow test (LFD) or PCR taken within the previous 24 hours of entry to a venue.
Amendment regulations came into force at 00:01 on Monday 17 January. These amended the definition of fully vaccinated to include the requirement for a booster vaccination for the purposes of the Covid certification scheme if a person’s primary course of vaccination was more than 120 days previously.
The Covid certification scheme in Scotland
Covid status certificates are needed to get into the following higher risk settings in Scotland:
- late night premises with music, which serve alcohol at any time between midnight and 5am and have a designated place for dancing for customers
- indoor events (unseated) with 500 or more people
- outdoor events (unseated) with 4,000 or more people
- any event with 10,000 or more people
- unless exempt, to attend an event or seek entry to late night premises listed above, you will have to be prepared to show proof that you have been fully vaccinated or a record that you have tested negative for COVID-19 in the 24 hours prior to attendance or are exempt. This is known as the Covid certification scheme
- in settings where Covid certification is required, organisers will need to ensure there is a system in place for checking certification, and refuse access to anyone found by those checks not to be in possession of valid certification or an exemption
- to be considered fully vaccinated, you must have completed a course of an authorised vaccine with the final dose having been received at least 2 weeks previously. If 120 days have passed since the primary course was completed you must have had a booster dose plus 10 days (this is to ensure that the vaccine has taken effect)
- some people are exempt from having to show certification (see the section on exemptions later in this guidance)
- from 6 December, as an alternative to proof of vaccination, the certification scheme allows you show a record of a negative rapid lateral flow device test (LFD) or PCR test taken within 24 hours of entry to a venue
- if you have been vaccinated you can download the NHS Scotland Covid Status app or you can get a paper record of your vaccine status from NHS Inform
The scheme will be reviewed at regular intervals in line with the current process for reviewing COVID regulations every three weeks.