Table 12: Debt cases initiated and disposed of in the civil courts, by case type and final disposal, 2016-17
|Absolvitor||For pursuer||Decree by default||Dismissed||Expenses only||Other|
|Court of Session||6||13||8||0||3||0||2||0||0|
|Sheriff: ordinary cause||4,483||3,560||386||335||2,174||32||598||17||18|
|Sheriff: summary cause4||2,336||3,024||141||215||1,796||12||815||11||34|
|Sheriff: small claim||17,522||22,149||564||1,218||12,474||171||7,346||158||218|
|Sheriff: simple procedure5||5,961||962||9||64||574||0||307||7||1|
1. Figures for initiations and disposals do not necessarily refer to the same cases.
2. Decree by default is a new category brought through by the new case management system. Data for this new category only covers November 2016 to March 2017.
3. Data from the new case management system is not currently split between 'defended' and 'undefended', therefore these have been combined into a single category.
4. First phase of simple procedure replaces the more straightforward cases of summary cause from 28 November 2016.
5. The first phase of simple procedure replaces the small claims and the more straightforward cases under summary procedure. It commenced on 28 November 2016 and therefore does not cover a full year.