- 12 Jun 2019
An independent and impartial review of the evidence in relation to the reported health and safety concerns at Buchanan and St Ambrose High School campus, including the history and construction and maintenance of this site. The primary purpose of the review will be to provide further reassurance to the local community. This will include:
1. As a priority, a review of the public health measures taken and conclusions drawn by NHS Lanarkshire in relation to the health concerns expressed by the school and local communities. The review will address specific health concerns that have been raised including:
- possible exposure to unspecified chemicals resulting from previous land use now at the new school site
- attending the school and acquiring cancer, specifically bladder cancer
- the presence of copper in the drinking water supply
- attendance at the school and the acquisition and impact of elevated blood levels of arsenic
2. Assessing the information provided on public health related concerns raised by parents, pupils, school staff and the local community.
3. Reviewing the risk assessment made and validation of works undertaken across the site to assess whether all activity was carried out in accordance with appropriate Regulations and best practice to mitigate against any risk to public health. This review would be carried out by a party independent of the original works and with input from all other agencies involved.
On the basis of the assessment of the evidence outlined above, the Review will determine whether additional evidence or action is required in order to provide such further reassurance to the local community.
This review will be independent. This process has the full support of both the North Lanarkshire Council and NHS Lanarkshire who recognise everything possible must be done to address the concerns which have been raised locally.
Led by the Scottish Government Chief Planning Reporter and a specialist in public health, it will be for these experts to assess exactly how long their work requires but we expect their findings as soon as practicable and before the start of the next academic year.
More information: Buchanan and St Ambrose High School Campus independent review
Telephone: 0131 244 0035