Publication - Advice and guidance

Basic Payment Scheme: guidance

Published: 30 Apr 2015

If you intend to take part in the Basic Payment Scheme you must read this guidance carefully and make sure you understand the requirements of the scheme.

86 page PDF

10.0 MB

86 page PDF

10.0 MB

Basic Payment Scheme: guidance
42. Appeals and complaints

86 page PDF

10.0 MB

42. Appeals and complaints

If you are unhappy with a decision we have made regarding your claim or if you are unhappy with the service we have provided, you can make use of our appeals and complaints procedures.

If you receive a decision to refuse, recover or reduce a payment from us you have the right to have your decision reviewed.

To request a review, please contact your local RPID area office or download a review application form from our website at

This form needs to be submitted within 30 days of the date of your decision letter.

What happens next?

Once you have submitted your form, you will be invited to discuss your case with a member of staff, either in a meeting or over the telephone.

Do I have to supply additional information?

You can supply further written details in addition to your form, although you are not required to do so. Your case will still be reviewed if you choose not to supply additional information.

When will a review take place?

We are obliged to begin your review no later than 60 days from the date you request it.

Can I bring someone with me?

Yes. Please let your local RPID area office know who will be with you so an appropriate meeting room is organised.

What happens at the review meeting?

You will be given the opportunity to explain to a reviewing officer why you think the decision you received is incorrect and ask any relevant questions.

The reviewing officer may also have questions to ask you.

What happens after the review?

The reviewing officer will prepare a report of the meeting. You will receive the report and the reviewing officer's decision within 60 days of the review taking place.

Further action

If the review upholds the original decision and you wish to continue with your case, you need to submit a formal appeal to the Scottish Land Court. This needs to be made within 30 days from the date of the reviewing officer's decision. The court will then make its own arrangements to deal with your appeal.

If you have any questions contact your local RPID area office.

Appeals forms are available online on the Rural Payments and Services website at

Alternatively, you can contact your local RPID area office who will send you the documents you need.