Publication - Advice and guidance

Advance Payment Scheme - supporting documents: guidance

Published: 26 Nov 2020

Guidance for people applying to the Advance Payment Scheme about how to obtain ‘a supporting document’ – some kind of ‘record’ which shows you spent time in care in Scotland as a child.

Advance Payment Scheme - supporting documents: guidance
What is a 'supporting document'?

What is a 'supporting document'?

The Advance Payment Scheme is for survivors of abuse in care in Scotland when the abuse took place before December 2004. It does not matter if you no longer live in Scotland. All applications require a 'supporting document' to show that the person applying was in care in Scotland as a child. There are lots of different kinds of supporting documents which might show this. It is typically a copy of a 'paper record' of some kind but it does not always have to be from the organisation that provided your care. Examples include (but are not limited to):

  • a copy of a document from your care records held by your care provider, such as an entry in an admission/discharge register or a log book. These may be held by your care provider or local authority archivists.
  • local authority records, including social work and education records
  • records that show your 'in care' address at the time, such as
    • a baptism record or some other documentation which details your address 'in care' at the time.
    • court or police records
    • health records including primary medical records (e.g., GP, dental, ophthalmic, or pharmacy) as well as secondary care records (e.g., hospital or clinic).

Further information on supporting documents can be found in the Advance Payments FAQ and in this Guide.