Publication - Advice and guidance

Advance Payment Scheme - supporting documents: guidance

Published: 26 Nov 2020

Guidance for people applying to the Advance Payment Scheme about how to obtain ‘a supporting document’ – some kind of ‘record’ which shows you spent time in care in Scotland as a child.

Advance Payment Scheme - supporting documents: guidance
A note about List D Schools, Borstals or Approved Schools

A note about List D Schools, Borstals or Approved Schools

The words used to describe children's homes and residential schools have changed over time. Residential care settings could be called residential schools, List D Schools, Borstals or Approved Schools. A child could be placed in these settings for a range of different reasons relating to care, protection or as a result of running away, truancy or on offence grounds. The 1968 Social Work (Scotland) Act led to many Approved Schools in Scotland being re-designated as 'List D' Schools. Many of these establishments were still run by voluntary or religious organisations. However, Dundee, Midlothian, Glasgow and Paisley local authorities ran their own List D schools.

If you were in an Approved or List D School, you may have a number of options to explore in order to establishwhich, if any, records might show that you were in care. Again, your most likely first contacts would be the organisation that ran the setting – that could have been a local authority, a faith-based organisation, a third sector organisation or the local authority that made the arrangements for your care. If you cannot get a record, then there are other organisations that may have a record or a document that shows your address as being the care setting. Other contacts include (refer to the sections below for specific contact details for each):

  • The Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service;
  • Police Scotland;
  • The Scottish Prison Service;
  • The Scottish Children's Reporters Administration;
  • The Scottish Government;
  • National Records of Scotland;
  • The NHS.