Tips highlight how staff can prevent spread of infection.
New guidance on coronavirus (COVID-19) has been published that includes workplace advice.
It contains guidance for non-healthcare settings, including tips that apply to people working in hotels and hospitality, leisure facilities, entertainment venues and premises used by community groups.
It has general basic hygiene measures and advice from Health Protection Scotland on preventing the spread of infection and includes:
• routine cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched objects and surfaces such as telephones, keyboards, door handles, desks and tables
• basic hand washing highlighted as the most effective way of preventing the spread of infection. Hand hygiene promoted by ensuring staff, contractors, service users and visitors have access to hand washing facilities and alcohol-based hand rub, where available
• crockery and cutlery in shared kitchen areas should be cleaned with warm water and detergent and dried thoroughly
• ensuring food such as crisps and sandwiches should not be left open for communal sharing unless individually wrapped
Fiona Hyslop, Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Fair Work and Culture, said:
“This publication has been circulated following general guidance on basic preventative measures against coronavirus and specific guidance for educational settings.
“It contains clear, practical guidance that will ensure workplace staff have the latest information about COVID-19 and how we can all help prevent it from spreading.
“We are well-prepared for an outbreak in Scotland, but the public has a vital role to play in helping us contain any positive cases by keeping themselves informed, and following basic hygiene precautions.
“That includes hand-washing, not touching their faces unless their hands are clean and covering their nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing then putting the tissue in the bin.”
Further additional guidance and information, including links to guidance for travellers and the general public, can also be found on HPS’ COVID-19 page.
The latest numbers of test results are published at 2pm each day on the Scottish Government website.
Common symptoms of coronavirus include:
• high temperature or fever
• shortness of breath
Updates on public health advice for coronavirus can be found on the NHS Inform website, and a free helpline has been set up for those who do not have symptoms but are looking for general health advice: 0800 028 2816.
For anyone who is planning to travel abroad, guidance can be found on fitfortravel. Where a COVID-19 risk is identified, country pages will be updated.