An Official Statistics Publication for Scotland.
The publication of Oil and Gas Production Statistics for 2016-17 was announced today by Scotland’s Chief Statistician.
Key statistics in the publication are:
- In financial year 2016-17, oil and gas production in Scotland (including Scottish adjacent waters) is estimated to have been 74.7 million tonnes of oil equivalent (mtoe).
- Production in Scotland increased by 2.9% compared to 2015-16, and accounted for 82 per cent of the UK total (up from 80 per cent in 2015-16).
- In 2016-17, oil and gas fields in Scotland accounted for 96 per cent of UK crude oil and nat ural gas liquids (NGL) production, and 63 per cent of UK natural gas production.
- In 2016-17, the approximate sales value of oil and gas produced in Scotland is estimated to be £17.5 billion.
- The approximate sales value increased by 15.2% compared to 2015-16, due to the increase in production over the year and an increase in prices at the end of 2016 and beginning of 2017.
- In 2016-17, operating expenditure (excluding decommissioning) on oil and gas production in Scotland is estimated to be £5.9 billion, broadly unchanged from its level in financial year 2015-16 despite the increase in production.
- In 2016-17, capital expenditure on oil and gas production in Scottish waters is estimated to be £8.0 billion, down from £10.1 billion in financial year 2015-16.
Oil and Gas Production Statistics includes estimates of activity in Scotland (including Scottish adjacent waters). It reports production volumes, approximate sales income, operating costs and capital expenditure. The results are consistent with recent UK statistics and data published by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and the Oil and Gas Authority (OGA).
The full statistics publication, including results back to 1998, is available at: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Economy/oilgas1617
Further information on Scottish economic statistics is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Economy
The figures released today were produced in accordance with professional standards set out in the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. More information on the standards of official statistics in Scotland can be accessed at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Statistics/About