£500 bonus for health and social care staff
Pandemic workforce thanked for their service.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has today announced a one-off payment for Scotland’s lifesavers and care-givers on the frontline throughout the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
A pro rated payment of £500 will be made as soon as is practicable to all NHS and social care workers employed since 17 March 2020 - including staff who have had to shield, or who have since retired.
This investment of around £180 million will see over 300,000 staff gain some benefit from this bonus, including nurses, porters, doctors, primary care staff, homecare workers, care home staff, hospice staff and residential child care staff.
The First Minister said:
“Back in the spring, at the height of the first wave of COVID, many of us publicly – and often loudly – showed our appreciation for the work our NHS and social care staff were doing.
“The applause was important, but it was never enough. Our appreciation must be shown in a more tangible way.
“We’re in the early stages of negotiating a new pay deal for NHS Agenda for Change staff for 2021/22. The UK Government's public sector pay policy will not make that task easy, but we will do our level best to give NHS staff the pay increase they deserve. However, these negotiations will take time to conclude.
“Those who have worked in our hospitals and care homes - at the sharpest end of the COVID trauma - deserve recognition now.
“So I can announce today that, on behalf of us all, the Scottish Government will give every full time NHS and social care worker £500 as a one-off thank you payment for their extraordinary service in this toughest of years. Those who work part time will get a proportionate share.
“The money will be paid in this financial year and it will be separate from any negotiations about pay for the longer term. There are no strings attached.
“Of course, a payment like this can never come close to expressing our full admiration for those who have cared for us so heroically. But to our health and care workers, it is a demonstration of what we collectively owe you - and a heartfelt thank you for the sacrifices you have made.”
The pro rata £500 bonus scheme, which will be funded from the Scottish Government's COVID-19 support package, applies to employees employed since March 17, for:
All NHS Employees, including:
- staff who have been active in the NHS since 17 March 2020 but who have since left NHS employment, including retirees
- staff who accepted and worked on temporary contracts since 17 March to aid pandemic response but who have since left NHS employment, including students who worked under temporary contracts but who have since returned to University
- staff covered by the Two Tier Agreement
- General Practitioners and their practice teams, including 2C practices
Staff providing NHS services under independent contractor arrangements including:
- GP surgery staff
- NHS Dental surgery staff
- NHS pharmacy services staff
- NHS optometry staff
Staff working in Adult Social Care including:
- Care home staff
- Homecare staff
- Palliative care/hospice staff
- Adult Personal Assistants
- Social care staff in residential child care settings
- Social Workers (including those working with children and families and in criminal justice)
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback