Following publication of Getting the Right Change: A Retail Strategy for Scotland in March 2022, a new Industry Leadership Group (ILG) has been established to drive and support delivery of the strategy actions, in particular on improving fair work across the sector.
The ILG is co-chaired by Joe FitzPatrick, Minister for Local Government Empowerment and Planning, and Polly Jones, Head of Corporate Affairs for Scotland – Asda.
Membership of the ILG has been established and the first ILG meeting took place on 25 August 2022.
The strategic purpose of the retail ILG will be to:
- deliver an increasingly sustainable retail sector
- promote the delivery of all aspects of fair work across the sector
- ensure those working in retail have the skills necessary to be successful
We expect the ILG to focus on delivering the following priority objectives:
- the actions in the National Strategy for Economic Transformation that will directly support the retail sector
- a Fair Work Agreement, which encourages retail businesses to demonstrate their commitment to Fair Work principles
- a skills audit and action plan for the sector, in partnership with Skills Development Scotland and other partners
- a just transition plan for retail to guide the path to net zero
It will agree a delivery plan that sets out how it will deliver its identified priorities as well as a critical review process and timelines for measuring success.
- Joe FitzPatrick, Minister for Local Government Empowerment and Planning
- Polly Jones, Head of Corporate Affairs for Scotland - Asda
- David Lonsdale, Director - SRC
- Tony McElroy, Head of Communications and Devolved Government Relations - Tesco
- Meryl Halls, CEO - Booksellers Association of the UK/Eire
- Debbie Harding, Chief Corporate Officer - Dobbies Garden Centres
- Tracy Gilbert, Regional Secretary - USDAW
- Colin Smith, Chief Executive - Scottish Wholesale Association
- Andrew McRae, Policy Chair - Federation of Small Business (FSB)
- Reuben Chesters, Project Manager - Locavore
- Sonya Harper, Central Operations Director - CJ Lang and Son
- Robert Deavy, Scotland Organiser - GMB
- Mo Razzaq, National (UK) Deputy Vice President - National Federation of Independent Retailers
- Dr Pete Cheema OBE, Chief Executive - Scottish Grocers’ Federation
- Lucy Brown, Central Operations Director - John Lewis Partnership
- Kyron Keogh, Co-founder and Managing Director - ROX - Diamonds and Thrills
- Laura Mitchell, Head of Retail - Greggs
- Karen Stewart, Centre Manager – Livingston Designer Outlet
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback