Following publication of Getting the Right Change: A Retail Strategy for Scotland in March 2022, a new Industry Leadership Group (ILG) has been established to drive and support delivery of the strategy actions, in particular on improving fair work across the sector.
The ILG is co-chaired by Mr Tom Arthur, Minister for Public Finance, Planning and Community Wealth, and Mr Andrew Murphy, Chief Operating Officer, The John Lewis Partnership.
Membership of the ILG has been established and the first ILG meeting took place on 25 August.
The strategic purpose of the retail ILG will be to:
- deliver an increasingly sustainable retail sector
- promote the delivery of all aspects of fair work across the sector
- ensure those working in retail have the skills necessary to be successful
We expect the ILG to focus on delivering the following priority objectives:
- the actions in the National Strategy for Economic Transformation that will directly support the retail sector
- a Fair Work Agreement, which encourages retail businesses to demonstrate their commitment to Fair Work principles
- a skills audit and action plan for the sector, in partnership with Skills Development Scotland and other partners
- a just transition plan for retail to guide the path to net zero
It will agree a delivery plan that sets out how it will deliver its identified priorities as well as a critical review process and timelines for measuring success.
- Mr Tom Arthur, Minister for Public Finance, Planning and Community Wealth
- Andrew Murphy, Chief Operating Officer - John Lewis Partnership
- David Lonsdale, Director - SRC
- Tony McElroy, Head of Communications and Devolved Government Relations - Tesco
- Meryl Halls, CEO - Booksellers Association of the UK/Eire
- Nick Peel, Managing Director - St James’ Quarter
- Christopher Tiso, Director - Graham Tiso Ltd.
- Debbie Harding, Chief Corporate Officer - Dobbies Garden Centres
- Tracy Gilbert, Regional Secretary - USDAW
- Colin Smith, Chief Executive - Scottish Wholesale Association
- Andrew McRae, Policy Chair - Federation of Small Business (FSB)
- Reuben Chesters, Project Manager - Locavore
- Sonya Harper, Central Operations Director - CJ Lang and Son
- Robert Deavy, Scotland Organiser - GMB
- Mo Razzaq, National (UK) Deputy Vice President - National Federation of Independent Retailers
- Polly Jones, Senior Manager, Corporate Affairs - Asda
- Jackie Cuddy, Centre Manager - Eastgate Shopping Centre, Inverness
- Dr Pete Cheema OBE, Chief Executive - Scottish Grocers’ Federation
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback