Firework Review Group
The ‘Fireworks Action Plan: Promoting the Safe and Appropriate Use of Fireworks in Scotland’ committed to establishing a Firework Review Group to provide recommendations to Scottish Ministers on tightening devolved legislation on fireworks in Scotland.
The Group will consider the feasibility of available options within current devolved legislation, and present recommendations for change. Legislation on where and when fireworks can be used is devolved to Scottish Ministers; and there are some options available on the sale of fireworks. These options will be full considered with the aim of making a series of evidence-based recommendations. The recommendations will be presented to Scottish Ministers in August 2020 to ensure fireworks are used safely and handled with care, and do not cause harm, distress or serious injury.
The Group will operate for a period of nine months, starting in December 2019 and will meet up to 6 times during this period.
The Review Group is externally chaired by Alasdair Hay CBE QFSM and membership of the Review Group is detailed below:
- Fraser Stevenson, British Fireworks Association
- Cliff Stonestreet, British Pyrotechnics Association
- Kathleen Robertson, British Veterinary Association
- Alison Kerr, Community Representative Blackburn
- Willie Black, Community Representative Edinburgh
- Mike Callaghan, Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (CoSLA)
- Eleanor Robertson, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde / Care of Burns in Scotland (COBIS)
- Tim Ross, Police Scotland
- Donna Baillie, Scottish Ambulance Service
- Lorraine Gillies, Scottish Community Safety Network
- Alasdair Perry, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
- Gillian McNaught, Scottish Local Authority Lawyers and Administrators
- Gilly Mendes Ferreira, Scottish Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Christopher Bell, Trading Standards
- Jim Wilson, Veterans Scotland