Coronavirus (COVID-19): Cross Party Covid Recovery Steering Group
The Cross-Party Covid Recovery Steering Group was established by the Scottish Government following the 2021 Scottish Parliament election and met for the first time on 26 May 2021.
The purpose of the group is to focus on the opportunities that exist for both social and economic recovery from the impacts of the Covid pandemic, supporting the wellbeing and prosperity of every person in Scotland. The group provides a forum for parties to share their perspectives on these issues and inform government decision-making.
The group shall focus on three strands of recovery, with tackling inequalities recognised as a cross-cutting theme across all aspects of Covid recovery:
- economic recovery
- the NHS
The group will operate for an initial six month period, subject to review after three months.
Roles and responsibilities
The group will be chaired by the Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Covid Recovery.
Members of the group will contribute their perspective on issues connected with the four strands of recovery. These contributions shall be without prejudice to the views of the political parties they represent.
The first meeting of the group took place on Wednesday 26 May 2021.
The group will meet on a weekly basis initially, subject to review by the group on an ongoing basis.
There is no restriction on members of the group discussing topics under consideration by the group but members shall respect the confidentiality of individual contributions to discussions.
A summary of issues discussed at meetings shall be prepared by the Secretariat and agreed by members of the group for publication.
Secretariat support to the group shall be provided by Scottish Government officials.
The principal members of the group are:
- John Swinney MSP, Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Covid Recovery, Scottish Government (Chair)
- Murdo Fraser MSP, Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party
- Jackie Baillie MSP, Scottish Labour Party
- Patrick Harvie MSP, Scottish Greens Party
- Alex Cole-Hamilton MSP, Scottish Liberal Democrats
Principal members of the group may be represented by substitutes.
Parties shall normally be represented by one person at meetings of the group, at the discretion of the Chair.
Other Ministers of the Scottish Government may attend meetings, at the invitation of the Chair, if the issues for discussion are relevant to their portfolio.
Expert advisers and senior officials of the Scottish Government (for example, the Chief Medical Officer) may attend meetings, at the invitation of the Chair.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cross Party Covid Recovery Steering Group minutes: 16 June 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Cross Party Covid Recovery Steering Group minutes: 9 June 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Cross Party Covid Recovery Steering Group minutes - 2 June 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Cross Party Covid Recovery Steering Group minutes - 26 May 2021