Buchanan and St Ambrose High School Campus Independent Review
Following consultation with North Lanarkshire Council and NHS Lanarkshire, the Scottish Government asked Paul Cackette, the Chief Planning Reporter, and Dr Margaret Hannah, a former Director of Public Health, to undertake an independent and impartial review of the evidence in relation to the reported health and safety concerns at Buchanan and St Ambrose High School campus, including the history and construction and maintenance of this site.
The primary purpose of the review is to provide further reassurance to the local community. The review had the full support of both the North Lanarkshire Council and NHS Lanarkshire who recognised that everything possible should be done to address the concerns which have been raised locally.
The review’s work was completed with the publication of its report on 9 August 2019. The report, evidence commissioned by the review and other documents referred to in the report are in the Documents section at the bottom of this page.
We are grateful to everyone who took the time to contribute to the work of the review.
The recommendations of the review have been accepted by North Lanarkshire Council and NHS Lanarkshire and they are responsible for taking these forward.
The review leads wrote to North Lanarkshire Council and NHS Lanarkshire on 29 August to draw their attention to final pieces of information which were received too late to be taken into consideration by the review. This information does not alter the conclusions of the review. Our letter, and their response of 9 September, are in the Documents section below.
- Paul Cackette, Chief Planning Reporter, Scottish Government (since August 2016) - from May 2018 to June 2019, Paul was Director of Legal Services, the most senior lawyer in the government legal service in Scotland. He joined the Scottish Government in November 1988 and was appointed to the senior civil service in 2000. Paul studied Law at the Universities of Edinburgh and Glasgow.
- Margaret Hannah, Director of Health Programmes, International Futures Forum - from 2016 to 2018 Margaret was Director of Public Health in NHS Fife, with responsibility for Health protection and health improvement for the region. She trained as a doctor and is a graduate of Cambridge University, with specialist public health training in Hong Kong and London. She has lived and worked in Scotland since 1996.
- Buchanan and St Ambrose Independent Review: final report
- Buchanan and St Ambrose Independent Review: evidence
- Buchanan and St Ambrose High School campus: geoenvironmental site investigation
- Buchanan and St Ambrose Review: follow up letter and response to follow up letter
- Buchanan and St Ambrose High School Campus independent review: timeline
- Buchanan and St Ambrose High School Campus independent review: letter to organisations
- Buchanan and St Ambrose High School Campus Independent Review: privacy notice
- Buchanan and St Ambrose High School campus: scope of the independent review