

**From:** [REDACTED] > **On Behalf Of** Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development  
**Sent:** 06 August 2021 16:03  
**To:** [REDACTED] Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>; Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>  
**Cc:** DG Economy <[DGEconomy@gov.scot](mailto:DGEconomy@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED] Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>; Communications Constitution & Culture <[CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot](mailto:CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot)>  
**Subject:** RE: COVR and PAVR underspend options

Good Afternoon [REDACTED]

Thanks for this.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

Ms Gilruth is content with FM's recommendation, but, can this support be administered in house to local councils and not via SLIC? That would be Ms Gilruth's preference if possible.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED] **Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development, Jenny Gilruth**  
The Scottish Government | St Andrew's House | Regent Road | Edinburgh | EH1 3DG | [REDACTED]

All emails and attachments sent by a Ministerial Private Office to any other official on behalf of a Minister relating to a decision, request or comment made by a Minister, or a note of a Ministerial meeting, must be filed appropriately by the recipient. Private Office do not keep official records of such emails or attachments.

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**On Behalf Of** Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development  
**Sent:** 20 August 2021 08:56  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]; Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>  
**Cc:** DG Economy <[DGEconomy@gov.scot](mailto:DGEconomy@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]  
Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>; Communications Constitution & Culture <[CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot](mailto:CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot)>  
**Subject:** RE: COVR and PAVR underspend options

Good Morning [REDACTED],

Thanks for this.

Ms Gilruth is content. She has asked if there is a way to amalgamate options 2&3? Ms Gilruth is drawn to the suggestion that in order to access the funding we need to reach a 90% of libraries being open, and this would send the right signal.

[REDACTED]

All emails and attachments sent by a Ministerial Private Office to any other official on behalf of a Minister relating to a decision, request or comment made by a Minister, or a note of a Ministerial meeting, must be filed appropriately by the recipient. Private Office do not keep official records of such emails or attachments.

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 16 August 2021 12:55

**To:** Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <MinisterCEID@gov.scot>; [REDACTED] Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <CabSecCEAC@gov.scot>

**Cc:** DG Economy <DGEconomy@gov.scot>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>; [REDACTED] Gollan J (Jennie) <Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot>; Communications Constitution & Culture <CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot>

**Subject:** RE: COVR and PAVR underspend options

Hi [REDACTED],

Hope you had a nice break!

The Minister already verbally agreed to SLIC administering the fund, but written confirmation would be helpful. The key decisions for the Minister are 1) what the fund would cover (from the three suggested options and 2) how much money will be available.

We can then develop more detailed options for her agreement.

Hope that gives you what you needed, but happy to chat if helpful,

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED] | Culture Strategy and Engagement Team | Culture and Historic Environment Division  
Directorate for Culture, Tourism and Major Events  
Scottish Government

[REDACTED] |

Area 2G South, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh, EH6 6QQ

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]

**On Behalf Of** Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development

**Sent:** 16 August 2021 12:49

**To:** [REDACTED]

Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED] Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>

**Cc:** DG Economy <[DGEconomy@gov.scot](mailto:DGEconomy@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED] Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>; Communications Constitution & Culture <[CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot](mailto:CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot)>

**Subject:** RE: COVR and PAVR underspend options

Good Afternoon [REDACTED]

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly, that's great.

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED] **for Culture, Europe and International Development, Jenny Gilruth**

The Scottish Government | St Andrew's House | Regent Road | Edinburgh | EH1 3DG | [REDACTED]

All emails and attachments sent by a Ministerial Private Office to any other official on behalf of a Minister relating to a decision, request or comment made by a Minister, or a note of a Ministerial meeting, must be filed appropriately by the recipient. Private Office do not keep official records of such emails or attachments.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 19 August 2021 12:18  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: Underspend options - open fund proposal

Here is an initial go at separating out some funding for museums and libraries. This may need a bit of refining.

[REDACTED] I have added libraries info, but can you check over and change to make this fit the library needs as not sure if its captured adequately.

Thanks,  
[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 19 August 2021 09:46  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: Underspend options - open fund proposal

I think we are still waiting for a decision from Ms Gllruth on what funding option she wants for libraries – we recommended the 1.25m option. We have chased several times.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

THE FIRST ATTACHMENT IS OUT OF SCOPE

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

**£1.25m for public library re-opening:** The PfG commits to provide a one-off Relief fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council (SLIC) to help libraries stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation. Supported by FM but is currently unfunded unless underspend from committed Culture consequentials can be maintained.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

**£1.25m for public library re-opening:**

**Public libraries are crucial for our communities and this one-off Relief fund of up to £1.25 million will help public libraries remain open.**

- The Relief fund will be administered by SLIC, through a bid-in fund, similar to the Public Libraries Improvement Fund, which they deliver on our behalf.
- Libraries will be encouraged to apply based on their communities' local needs and priorities, ensuring that the fund targets areas of deprivation.
- The fund will support Libraries to remain open, and will address specific issues.
- These include: reducing the attainment gap and social isolation, promoting digital inclusion, targeting mental health and wellbeing and economic wellbeing.
- We are currently working with SLIC on details of the fund and more information will be available soon – we hope money will be with libraries by October.
- The Fund coincides with the launch of Forward: Scotland's Public Library Strategy, also developed by SLIC, which was published on 24 August.
- The strategy articulates a national vision for libraries, exploring how they can combine their physical and digital services to reset communities.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 31 August 2021 17:37

**To:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>

**Cc:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: PfG 2021-22 - Draft for Ministerial review - Culture and Major Events - draft 30 August (A34483729)

[REDACTED]

See below list of budget reference from the PfG. I have noted the year the budget is required and what is committed and not.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

“we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council” - [REDACTED] - Section 30(b)(ii)

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

[REDACTED]

-----Original Message-----

From: [REDACTED]

Sent: 31 August 2021 17:02

To: [REDACTED]

Subject: RE: PfG 2021-22 - Draft for Ministerial review - Culture and Major Events - draft 30 August (A34483729)

Hi [REDACTED]

I think I feel more comfortable with the revised wording.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

The libraries funding is the only slightly ropey bit, as that needs to be funded via £7.8m underspends. This has come from FM and Ms Gilruth has agreed, so I think it will go ahead even if no other part of the underspend gets redeployed.

Thanks,

[REDACTED]

---

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 31 August 2021 17:06

**To:** Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)> [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: COVR/PAVR underspend - options

Hi [REDACTED]

Yes, this is the same £1.25m as previously agreed for libraries.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED] | Culture Strategy and Engagement Team | Culture and Historic Environment Division

Directorate for Culture, Tourism and Major Events

Scottish Government

[REDACTED] Area 2G South, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh, EH6 6QQ

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 31 August 2021 16:26

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Cc:** Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: COVR/PAVR underspend - options

Hi all

Just catching up with emails and found this one. Have removed PO from copy list.

**Please could someone re-forward me [REDACTED] original submission for reference?** I seem to have lost it.

[REDACTED] – is the £1.25m for SLIC the same £1.25m previously agreed?

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

Best,

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED] | Creative Industries, Screen and Media Unit | Culture and Historic Environment Division  
| 2-G-South Victoria Quay | Edinburgh EH6 6QQ | [REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED] **On Behalf Of** Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development

**Sent:** 27 August 2021 11:54

**To:** [REDACTED] Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development

<[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>; Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture

<[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>

**Cc:** DG Economy <[DGEconomy@gov.scot](mailto:DGEconomy@gov.scot)>; DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>;

Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)> [REDACTED] Gollan J (Jennie)

<[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>; Communications Constitution & Culture

<[CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot](mailto:CommunicationsConstitution&Culture@gov.scot)>

**Subject:** RE: COVR/PAVR underspend - options

Hi [REDACTED],

Thank you for sending this up. The Minister asks on point 16 below:

**16 The COVR/PAVR underspend is £7.8 million. We suggest that this is broken into 3 strands should the Minister agree to the proposal. We would suggest a breakdown of £4.55 million is provided to Creative Scotland to deliver, £2 million for MGS to deliver and £1.25 million for SLIC.**

£1.25m is already going to SLIC – the Minister presumes that can be discounted?

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

Regards,

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED]

Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development

Email: [MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)

[REDACTED]

All e-mails and attachments sent by a Ministerial Private Office to any other official on behalf of a Minister relating to a decision, request or comment made by a Minister, or a note of a Ministerial meeting, must be filed appropriately by the recipient. Private Offices do not keep official records of such e-mails or attachments.

Scottish Ministers, Special advisers and the Permanent Secretary are covered by the terms of the Lobbying (Scotland) Act 2016. See [www.lobbying.scot](http://www.lobbying.scot)

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 01 September 2021 19:39

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>; [REDACTED]

**Subject:** FW: checking in with Ms Gilruth on PfG issues

[REDACTED] ,

On an call earlier today, Finance advised that we remove the £1.25m libraries commitment from the pfg as the funding is not confirmed. Jonathan confirmed he was content with this advice, therefore, I have requested the text below is deleted from final draft of the pfg...

Libraries also play a critical role in providing access to culture and, increasingly, in delivering services that support community wellbeing. Given the extraordinary and varying impact of the pandemic on libraries in some parts of Scotland, **we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help them to stay open and support their communities, particularly in areas of deprivation.

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 01 September 2021 17:46

**To:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>

**Cc:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: checking in with Ms Gilruth on PfG issues

Jonathan,

Are you content for this text to be removed from the pfg...

Libraries also play a critical role in providing access to culture and, increasingly, in delivering services that support community wellbeing. Given the extraordinary and varying impact of the pandemic on libraries in some parts of Scotland, **we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help them to stay open and support their communities, particularly in areas of deprivation.

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 01 September 2021 17:30

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>

**Subject:** RE: checking in with Ms Gilruth on PfG issues

Hi [REDACTED] ,

Are you able to send the wording below up to Ms Gilruth.

Finance also advised removing the £1.25m figure for the library that is currently sitting in PfG as we still need to go through AO template process to confirm it can be utilised.

Sorry I need to log out now, but hope that makes sense.

Thanks,  
[REDACTED]

---

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 02 September 2021 14:13

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)> [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: checking in with Ms Gilruth on PfG issues

Hi [REDACTED] , we just spoke – as I said, I've only just seen this now I'm afraid.

I think it would be good for the PfG team and [REDACTED] to know that Ms Gilruth has specifically asked (in the call this morning) that this commitment stays in, as it has come directly from the FM – I think you said this is already being flagged?

While it will be a bit weird to have anything mentioning the need for libraries to stay open that then doesn't mention a figure, perhaps we can propose that the text reads: 'We will work through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council to help libraries re-open and stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation'.

BTW comms have already been in touch to get the ball rolling – see attached (this was obv before I realised that it was being taken out).

Copying in [REDACTED] , [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] for awareness.

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 01 September 2021 19:39

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** FW: checking in with Ms Gilruth on PfG issues



[REDACTED]

On an call earlier today, Finance advised that we remove the £1.25m libraries commitment from the pfg as the funding is not confirmed. Jonathan confirmed he was content with this advice, therefore, I have requested the text below is deleted from final draft of the pfg...

Libraries also play a critical role in providing access to culture and, increasingly, in delivering services that support community wellbeing. Given the extraordinary and varying impact of the pandemic on libraries in some parts of Scotland, **we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help them to stay open and support their communities, particularly in areas of deprivation.

[REDACTED]

---

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 02 September 2021 12:46  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: For your views - Libraries funding - PFG Comms

Thanks [REDACTED] ,

Yes, that makes sense as long as it is of course unpublished until our announcement (date of which is still TBC until Comms grid is nailed down).

Thanks very much.

[REDACTED]  
**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 02 September 2021 12:42  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: For your views - Libraries funding - PFG Comms

Thank you[REDACTED] ,

We are waiting on more information from SLIC to inform our submission to Ms Gilruth. I will make sure you are copied in, so you have all the required info on the £1.25 Relief fund.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

Best wishes,

[REDACTED]  
[REDACTED]

---

Culture and Historic Environment Division | Scottish Government  
2G South, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh, EH6 6QQ  
[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 02 September 2021 12:26  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: For your views - Libraries funding - PFG Comms

Great, thanks [REDACTED] .

Plans may change given other announcements across the PFG, but I will in the first instance propose this date.

Grateful as well for more detail on the funding, the conditions, etc.

[REDACTED]  
**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 02 September 2021 12:15  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: For your views - Libraries funding - PFG Comms

Hiya [REDACTED] ,

Yes that sounds fine and gives us enough time to work with SLIC on some of the details. Copying in [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] who lead on this – I'm [REDACTED] would be delighted to provide a quote, and we can have a think on who else.

Cheers

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 02 September 2021 12:11  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** For your views - Libraries funding - PFG Comms

Hi [REDACTED] ,

With the money for libraries in the PFG: can we issue a News Release on this next week, for example on Friday 10<sup>th</sup>?

In Comms we are putting together a grid of announcements and I can propose that date if it makes sense from your side.

Could we get a supportive quote from SLIC – and any other stakeholder you could suggest?

## PFG text

Libraries also play a critical role in providing access to culture and, increasingly, in delivering services that support community wellbeing. Given the extraordinary and varying impact of the pandemic on libraries in some parts of Scotland, **we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help them to stay open and support their communities, particularly in areas of deprivation.

[REDACTED] [REDACTED] | [Communications](#) | [Scottish Government](#) | [REDACTED]

---

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 02 September 2021 16:43  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: Libraries fund - couple of quick questions

Hi [REDACTED],

I think that it should be ok, as long as the money has been committed and is sitting outwith the SG accounting boundary (e is not in our accounts or a public body accounts)

I'm on a half day tomorrow so probably won't be able to comment on the template, but we can pick this up early next week?

Thanks,  
[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 02 September 2021 16:19  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: Libraries fund - couple of quick questions

Hi [REDACTED]

Thanks – I don't think SLIC were too concerned about the dates – it was more that it worked out as a 12 month period, so can potentially suggest to SLIC there should be a shorter advertised deadline, but if any projects had unforeseen circumstances that meant activity was pushed back, this wouldn't necessitate money being returned or something like that?

I have a submission as well with more details on the fund and I guess these could maybe go to Ms Gilruth together. I'll make a start on the AO template and send that

across tonight – I'm off tomorrow but either [REDACTED] or [REDACTED] could send it up or it can wait until Monday.

Thanks,

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED] | Culture Strategy and Engagement Team | Culture and Historic Environment Division  
Directorate for Culture, Tourism and Major Events  
Scottish Government

[REDACTED] Area 2G South, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh, EH6 6QQ

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 02 September 2021 15:58

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: Libraries fund - couple of quick questions

Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Finance are now wanting the text in the PfG to no longer refer to a set amount for this fund.

I think spending the money next year is a bit tricky, but might be possible if it has been committed to set projects and transferred to the LA library services.

Before this is launched in AO template will have to be completed and signed off by our Minister and Ms Forbes. We could do one big one for all the underspends, but we need to wait for agreement from Ms Gilruth on how to spend the rest of the underspends. So it may be better for you to push on with the library one to get it greenlit asap?

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

Thanks

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 31 August 2021 15:02

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** Libraries fund - couple of quick questions

Hi [REDACTED] ,

Just wanted to check a couple of things with you re. the libraries fund which Ms Gilruth agreed to fund from the COVR/PAVR underspend.

Firstly, could project activity take place into the next financial year (e.g. if it was for yearlong project activity into October 2022), if SLIC have got the money to the local authority library services by then?

Secondly, is there any issue with the fund launching at the end of September given last I heard we're waiting on the consequentialia being released from UKG?

Thanks,

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED] | Culture Strategy and Engagement Team | Culture and Historic Environment Division  
Directorate for Culture, Tourism and Major Events  
Scottish Government

[REDACTED] Area 2G South, Victoria Quay, Edinburgh, EH6 6QQ

[REDACTED]

---

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 02 September 2021 14:58

**To:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <dgcea@gov.scot>

**Cc:** Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>; [REDACTED] [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>; [REDACTED]

**Subject:** FW: checking in with Ms Gilruth on PfG issues

Hi [REDACTED],

As discussed, rather than delete the libraries reference in full as a result of the budget situation and the advice of Finance officials we would like to add in the following line...

'We will work through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council to help libraries re-open and stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation'.

I have slotted this change into the attached version.

Grateful if you could flag this edit to Ms Gilruth when you send up the latest version of the pfg.

Thanks.

[REDACTED]

THE FIRST ATTACHMENT REFERRED TO IS AN EMAIL ALREADY INCLUDED IN THE BODY OF THE RESPONSE.

THE SECOND ATTACHMENT IS THE TEXT OF THE PROGRAMME FOR GOVERNMENT, WHICH IS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

**From:** [REDACTED] **On Behalf Of** Pryce JM (Jonathan)

**Sent:** 03 September 2021 16:53

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** FW: PfG draft for Cabinet

Quick update on the libraries fund... spads have asked the pfg team to include the original text for the libraries fund which includes the £1.25m commitment. Finance

continue to advise against this so Jonathan is trying to speak to Liz as AO urgently to make her aware that spads/pfg team are intending to publish the figure.  
[REDACTED]

**From:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 15:58  
**To:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; Programme for Government <[PfG@gov.scot](mailto:PfG@gov.scot)>  
**Cc:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>  
**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Good afternoon

[REDACTED] – as discussed on Microsoft Teams, I'm aware [REDACTED] had a word with the relevant Culture Spad about the libraries wording, and decided to keep the original wording (i.e. the one that referred to £1.25 million).

Culture and Major Events colleagues – has the accountable officer been sighted on this?

Kind regards

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 10:27  
**To:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; Programme for Government <[PfG@gov.scot](mailto:PfG@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet  
**Importance:** High

Hi [REDACTED],

Just to add, that I don't believe the revised text has been cleared with FM. Can you flag this change when you send up the latest draft?

We received advice from Finance officials that as the Libraries proposal was unfunded and had not been through the AO process we should remove reference to the funding commitment. The revised text was drafted with that in mind and was shared with Ms Gilruth last night.

I've noted below the changes we have made to the latest draft in relation to the Libraries commitment...

Text removed:

**P10 Provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help libraries re-open and stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation.

P62 Provide a £1.25 million fund to help libraries stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation

P63 Libraries also play a critical role in providing access to culture and, increasingly, in delivering services that support community wellbeing. Given the extraordinary and varying impact of the pandemic on libraries in some parts of Scotland, **we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help them to stay open and support their communities, particularly in areas of deprivation.

Text added

P63 - We will work through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council to help libraries re-open and stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation.

Regards,  
[REDACTED]

**From:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>

**Sent:** 03 September 2021 10:14

**To:** Programme for Government <[PgG@gov.scot](mailto:PgG@gov.scot)>; DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Hi [REDACTED]

There's still text on it in the body of the document at page 63:

"We will work through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council to help libraries re-open and stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation."

There's no longer text in the Executive Summary/Scotland in the World text box, and no longer specific budget figures attached to it, due to feedback from finance colleagues.

But the new wording on page 63 was cleared through discussions between Ms Gilruth, Ms Forbes and FM.

Cc'ing [REDACTED] from Culture and Major Events for info, and in case he has further background info.

Kind regards

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED] **On Behalf Of** Programme for Government  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 10:02  
**To:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)> [REDACTED] Programme for Government <[PfG@gov.scot](mailto:PfG@gov.scot)>  
**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Hi [REDACTED] – I noticed that the library fund text has been deleted in this draft. I know this was something FM specifically requested was included in her initial feedback – has the removal of this been agreed with FM?

Thanks,  
[REDACTED]

**Sent:** 03 September 2021 18:28  
**To:** Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>; DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>  
**Cc:** Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PfG 2021-22

Hi Jennie,

Liz has confirmed that she is content for the £1.25m commitment for the library fund to be included in the pfg. I have asked the pfg team (via DG pfg co-ordinator) to keep the original wording noted below...

**P10 - Provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help libraries re-open and stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation.

P62 - Provide a £1.25 million fund to help libraries stay open, particularly in areas of deprivation

P63 Libraries also play a critical role in providing access to culture and, increasingly, in delivering services that support community wellbeing. Given the extraordinary and varying impact of the pandemic on libraries in some parts of Scotland, **we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help them to stay open and support their communities, particularly in areas of deprivation.

Thanks.  
[REDACTED]

---

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 16:41



**To:** Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>; DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>

**Cc:** Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PFG 2021-22

Hi Jennie,

Ms Gilruth has agreed to fund the library fund from the COVR/PAVR underspend but we have not received agreement from Ms Forbes to spend this underspend on Cultural activity. The budget hasn't received sign off through the AO process. Finance advice is to not include a direct figure in order to provide flexibility.

Jonathan is going to discuss this with Liz as AO urgently to seek her views.

Regards,  
[REDACTED]

---

**From:** Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>

**Sent:** 03 September 2021 14:58

**To:** [REDACTED] DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>

**Cc:** Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PFG 2021-22

Hi [REDACTED]

I'm new to this process so forgive me if I'm missing something, but I was under the impression the Minister has already agreed the funding a few weeks ago through the COVR and PAVR underspend?

Jennie

---

**From:** [REDACTED]

>

**Sent:** 03 September 2021 12:28

**To:** Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>; DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>

**Cc:** Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PfG 2021-22  
**Importance:** High

Hi Jennie,

We were advised by finance officials to remove reference to the funding attached to the libraries fund as this proposal is unfunded and has not been through the AO process. After a further discussion with Finance today they have confirmed they would be content for the fund to be announced with no budgetary commitment.

Are you content for me to put forward the suggested revision to the original text as below...

“Libraries also play a critical role in providing access to culture and, increasingly, in delivering services that support community wellbeing. Given the extraordinary and varying impact of the pandemic on libraries in some parts of Scotland, **we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help them to stay open and support their communities, particularly in areas of deprivation.”

Thanks.  
[REDACTED]

---

**From:** Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 11:03  
**To:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PfG 2021-22

Hi all,

Concerned about the removal of the libraries fund in this draft. The Minister stated on the call with culture directorate yesterday that the fund must stay in. That fund was requested by the FM.

Happy to discuss if we need to.

Jennie

---

**From:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>  
**Sent:** 02 September 2021 16:09

**To:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <dgcea@gov.scot>; Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <MinisterCEID@gov.scot>; [REDACTED]

**Cc:** Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <CabSecCEAC@gov.scot>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>; [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PfG 2021-22

Good afternoon [REDACTED]

As mentioned by [REDACTED]  
, please find attached the latest draft of the PfG for CEAC matters. I've marked any changes since the last draft in tracked changes and highlighted in yellow.

Please note the changed wording on the commitment relating to the Scottish Libraries and Information Council.

PfG team have asked us to send a finalised draft by **close of play today**.

Kind regards

[REDACTED]

<< File: CEAC PfG.docx >>

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 03 September 2021 11:20

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** FW: PfG draft for Cabinet

**Importance:** High

[REDACTED],

Are you free for an urgent chat on the Libraries fund commitment? Background below. Thanks.

---

**From:** Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>

**Sent:** 03 September 2021 12:25

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Cc:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PfG 2021-22

Thanks [REDACTED] – I'm content with the current outcome, which is flexible.

Thanks

[REDACTED]

---

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 11:40  
**To:** Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PfG 2021-22  
**Importance:** High

All,

I had a word with [REDACTED] (Finance) re the libraries fund. He confirmed that Finance's view is that we should not reference the £1.25m, however, Finance would be content for an announcement of the fund with no budget commitment attached.

[REDACTED], can you confirm you are content with the revision below to the original library fund text...

Libraries also play a critical role in providing access to culture and, increasingly, in delivering services that support community wellbeing. Given the extraordinary and varying impact of the pandemic on libraries in some parts of Scotland, **we will provide a one-off fund of up to £1.25 million through the Scottish Libraries and Information Council** to help them to stay open and support their communities, particularly in areas of deprivation.

Thanks.  
[REDACTED]

---

**From:** Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 11:03  
**To:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]  
**Cc:** Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)> [REDACTED] **Subject:** RE: Advice for CEAC Ministers: For Ministerial review - PfG 2021-22

Hi all,

Concerned about the removal of the libraries fund in this draft. The Minister stated on the call with culture directorate yesterday that the fund must stay in. That fund was requested by the FM.

Happy to discuss if we need to.

Jennie

---

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 18:31

**To:** Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>; [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Further update – the libraries fund is back in the pfg. Liz has agreed it. Jonathan will send a note for Mr Robertson to send to Ms Forbes to let her know about the £1.25m commitment.

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED] **On Behalf Of** Pryce JM (Jonathan)  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 16:53  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** FW: PfG draft for Cabinet

Quick update on the libraries fund... spads have asked the pfg team to include the original text for the libraries fund which includes the £1.25m commitment. Finance continue to advise against this so Jonathan is trying to speak to Liz as AO urgently to make her aware that spads/pfg team are intending to publish the figure.

[REDACTED]

**From:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 15:58  
**To:** [REDACTED] >; Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; Programme for Government <[PfG@gov.scot](mailto:PfG@gov.scot)>  
**Cc:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>  
**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Good afternoon

[REDACTED] – as discussed on Microsoft Teams, I'm aware [REDACTED] had a word with the relevant Culture Spad about the libraries wording, and decided to keep the original wording (i.e. the one that referred to £1.25 million).

Culture and Major Events colleagues – has the accountable officer been sighted on this?

Kind regards

[REDACTED]

**From:** Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 19:18  
**To:** Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, External Affairs and Culture <[CabSecCEAC@gov.scot](mailto:CabSecCEAC@gov.scot)>  
**Cc:** Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development <[MinisterCEID@gov.scot](mailto:MinisterCEID@gov.scot)>; DG Economy <[DGEconomy@gov.scot](mailto:DG Economy@gov.scot)>; DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED] Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>; [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** Support for Libraries in the PfG

Mr Robertson

Cc: Ms Gilruth

### **Support for Libraries in the PfG**

Following the Finance and Accountable Officer meeting on 26 August, there remained £7.8m currently uncommitted in the CEAC Portfolio. The proposal in the PfG is for a library fund of up to £1.25m, which the First Minister is keen to do.

Clearly, if you commit the £1.25m then the remaining uncommitted funds would drop to £6.55m.

If you are content with that, it would be helpful if you could relay the outcome to Ms Forbes with a short paragraph, such as:

“Ms Forbes

Further to the email I sent to you on 27 August, I now wish to commit to a library fund of up to £1.25m in the PfG which the First Minister is keen to do. In doing so, it will reduce the remaining uncommitted funds in my portfolio to £6.55m.

I hope you will be supportive of this.

Angus Robertson”

Jonathan Pryce  
Director, Culture and Major Events

---

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 16:30  
**To:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot>  
**Cc:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Jonathan, [REDACTED],

As just discussed, the finance position would remain the same, in that we would advise not including a direct figure in relation to this commitment in order to provide flexibility. Separately, I am unaware how the figure in question has been reached, and if it has been fully costed. In normal circumstances, we'd look for this to go through the AO process for formal approval.

Jonathan – I understand you will speak with Liz as DG and will make her aware of Spad / PfG Team intentions to publish with a figure included.

Thanks

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 16:05  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** FW: PfG draft for Cabinet

[REDACTED]

**From:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>  
**Sent:** 03 September 2021 15:58  
**To:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>; Programme for Government <[PgG@gov.scot](mailto:PgG@gov.scot)>  
**Cc:** DG Constitution and External Affairs <[dgcea@gov.scot](mailto:dgcea@gov.scot)>  
**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Good afternoon

[REDACTED] – as discussed on Microsoft Teams, I'm aware [REDACTED] had a word with the relevant Culture Spad about the libraries wording, and decided to keep the original wording (i.e. the one that referred to £1.25 million).

Culture and Major Events colleagues – has the accountable officer been sighted on this?

Kind regards

[REDACTED]

---

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 06 September 2021 17:17  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: FMQ Brief Request - Fair Deal for Glasgow - Due 3pm today

Hi both,

Further to our chat earlier, here is some short text to accompany the submission which will hopefully clarify things for the Minister (which I've also updated to reflect

that this email came in – highlighted yellow), and below is next steps in response. I'm bound to have forgotten etc something we mentioned so please remind me 😊

Note for sub ([REDACTED] - Section 30(b)(ii))

Hi [REDACTED]

Please find attached a submission seeking the Minister's agreement to more detailed proposals for the public libraries Covid relief fund. This is separate to the request from the Minister for proposed next steps for libraries, which we are also taking forward. We are sending this submission separately first as confirming the details of the fund will allow further announcement to take place following PfG and also allow SLIC to open the fund in the next fortnight.

Many thanks....

In terms of next steps:

- I'll drop an email to and [REDACTED] tonight (on the back of my last email to [REDACTED] both giving them a confidential heads up on the SLIC fund being announced in PfG tomorrow and also noting that Ms Gilruth's office was in touch the other week about a meeting with [REDACTED] and that the Minister is keen to meet with the Culture Conveners soon and to ask what they need from us to make these happen.
- I'll start work on a note that sets out the wider local authority background, SLIC's role, the Strategy's purpose, any possible solutions (which the only one I can think of right now is some funding towards the national platform that I mentioned, plus I guess how the Minister could build on the support we're showing through the relief fund to encourage local authorities to do more.

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

[REDACTED] – OUT OF SCOPE

**From:** [REDACTED]

**Sent:** 06 September 2021 14:42

**To:** [REDACTED]

**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Hi [REDACTED],

Hoping to send a sub to the Minister soon with proposed details of the fund for her agreement, I'll make sure you are copied into that (and you can see the draft here if helpful: [REDACTED] - Section 30(b)(ii))

We also have a quote from SLIC from their chair, [REDACTED]

“The effects of the Covid 19 pandemic have highlighted the vital role public libraries play in communities across Scotland. Libraries are at the centre of the collective endeavour to improve literacy, close the attainment gap, promote health, champion wellbeing, pioneer sustainability, reduce inequality, and close the digital divide.



SLIC is pleased to be working with the Scottish Government to administer the Public Library Covid Relief Fund which will support the public library sector to extend access to these vital services, and prioritise wellbeing as communities continue to rebuild and recover.”

Let me know if you need anything else just now.

[REDACTED]

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 06 September 2021 10:00  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** RE: PfG draft for Cabinet

Thanks [REDACTED]–

Grateful for the information we have on this, so we can begin putting a draft NR together.

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED – OUT OF SCOPE]

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 06 September 2021 10:34  
**To:** [REDACTED]  
**Subject:** FW: Support for Libraries in the PfG

Hi [REDACTED] , sorry I shared this with [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] on Friday but forgot to copy you in. As it stands the library fund will be in the pfg. Our comments/amendments on the latest draft can be found in the link attached. What a process! Will be glad when it finally over tomorrow.

---

[REDACTED – OUT OF SCOPE]

**From:** Gollan J (Jennie) <[Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot](mailto:Jennie.Gollan@gov.scot)>  
**Sent:** 06 August 2021 11:38  
**To:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>  
**Subject:** RE: PfG

Great, thanks [REDACTED].

On libraries, the Minister has just informed me that she's in agreement with FM around a fund in PfG so we will be able to proceed on that basis. She's going to come back in the submission shortly with more information but just wanted to make sure we were aware of how she's minded.

[REDACTED].

**From:** [REDACTED]  
**Sent:** 06 August 2021 08:55  
**To:** [REDACTED] Pryce JM (Jonathan) <[Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot](mailto:Jonathan.Pryce@gov.scot)>  
**Subject:** RE: PfG

Hi everyone, [REDACTED]

As previously advertised, here's a new version building on the version last updated by [REDACTED]. This builds into the new version a few changes that we discussed with Jennie last night.

[REDACTED – OUT OF SCOPE]

- Page 51 – new item on libraries, assuming Ms G approves this, and subject to further delivery discussion with SLIC

[REDACTED – OUT OF SCOPE]

THE SECOND ATTACHMENT IS THE TEXT OF THE PROGRAMME FOR GOVERNMENT, WHICH IS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.