Jamie Hepburn was appointed Minister for Higher Education and Further Education, Youth Employment and Training in May 2021.
Supports the Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills.
Specific responsibilities are:
- Young Person’s Guarantee
- non-advanced vocational skills
- youth employment
- further education and colleges
- higher education and universities
- science and STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics)
- youth work
- widening access
- Community Learning and Development (CLD)
- student support
- Scottish Funding Council
- qualifications and accreditation
- scientific engagement and advice
- creating positive futures
- Skills Development Scotland
- international education strategy and a Scottish programme of exchange
Jamie was educated at Hyndland Secondary and the University of Glasgow, graduating with a degree in Politics and History.
He served as National Convener of the SNP's student and youth wings, was MSP for Central Scotland between 2007 and 2011 and has been MSP for Cumbernauld and Kilsyth since 2011. He was appointed Minister for Sport, Health Improvement and Mental Health in November 2014.
He was previously the Minister for Employability and Training.