Minister for Drugs and Alcohol Policy
Elena Whitham was appointed Minister for Drugs and Alcohol Policy in March 2023.
Supports the First Minister
Specific responsibilities are:
- tackling and reducing the harm of problem substance use
- supporting the rehabilitation and recovery of those living with drug or alcohol dependency
- reducing drug related deaths
- alcohol treatment
- reducing drinking at hazardous and harmful levels
- alcohol harm prevention, harm reduction and recovery
Prior to entering elected politics, Ms Whitham worked in community youth and homelessness roles and ran three businesses as a sole trader, in addition to spending over a decade as a Women’s Aid worker in Ayrshire, supporting women and children experiencing domestic abuse.
More recently, she served as the Depute Leader of East Ayrshire Council and was also COSLA’s Community Wellbeing Spokesperson, where her remit included housing and homelessness.
- read more about Elena Whitham on the Scottish Parliament website.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback