Jeane Freeman OBE was appointed Cabinet Secretary for Health and Sport in June 2018.
The Cabinet Secretary is responsible for:
- NHS and its performance, staff and pay
- Health care and social integration
- patient services and patient safety
- primary care, acute services elective centres Implementing the 2020 Vision, national clinical strategy, quality strategy and national service planning
- allied Healthcare services
- carers, adult care and support
- child and maternal health
- medical records, health improvement and protection
Born and raised in Ayr, she attended the Glasgow College of Technology and studied sociology and politics before establishing Apex Scotland, a criminal justice employment organisation. She was also a member of the Parole Board for Scotland.
Jeane chaired the National Waiting Times Centre Board and was a member of the Judicial Appointments Board for Scotland.
In 1996, she was awarded an OBE for her services to the rehabilitation of offenders. Jeane was elected as the Scottish Parliament member for Carrick, Cumnock and Doon Valley in 2016. Jeane Freeman OBE was appointed Minister for Social Security in May 2016.