Cabinet Secretary for Wellbeing Economy, Fair Work and Energy
Neil Gray was appointed as Cabinet Secretary for Wellbeing Economy, Fair Work and Energy in March 2023.
The Cabinet Secretary is responsible for:
Economic Growth Strategy
- support for business, industry and manufacturing
- wellbeing economy and inclusive growth
- cities investment and strategy
- City Centre Recovery Taskforce
- National Strategy for Economic Transformation
- enterprise agencies
- Scottish National Investment Bank
- Office of the Chief Economic Adviser
- industrial strategy
- regional economic partnerships
- support for economic transformation
- women's employment
- women in business and addressing the gender pay gap
- supply chain development programmes
- Clyde Mission
- City and Regional Growth Deals
- government investments (Prestwick, Fergusons, BiFab)
Employment and Jobs
- long-term labour market strategy
- fair work (including living wage and living hours)
- employability programmes
- effective worker voice, including trade unions
- workplace equalities (including gender, disability and race employment)
Engagement with UK Government on various economy-focused funds
- shared prosperity fund, levelling up fund, ESIF
- oil and gas
- Minister for Small Business, Innovation and Trade
- Minister for Energy
- Minister for Green Skills, Circular Economy and Biodiversity
Neil Gray was born and brought up in Orkney and was educated at Kirkwall Grammar School. He graduated from the University of Stirling in 2008 with a first-class Bachelor of Arts Honours degree in politics and journalism.
He was elected to represent Airdrie and Shotts Constituency at the 2021 Scottish Parliament election.
He had previously won the Airdrie and Shotts Westminster seat in 2015 and held it on two subsequent occasions before resigning to stand for the same area in the 2021 Scottish Parliament election. Prior to becoming an MP, Mr Gray worked for former Scottish Government Health Secretary Alex Neil MSP as his Airdrie and Shotts constituency office manager.
Neil Gray was appointed Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development in January 2022. In March 2022 he additionally became Minister with special responsibility for Refugees from Ukraine.
- Read more about Neil Gray on the Scottish Parliament website.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback