Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport
Michael Matheson was appointed Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport in May 2021.
The Cabinet Secretary is responsible for:
- cross-government co-ordination of Net Zero policy
- climate crisis and environmental protection
- COP26 delivery
- sustainable development
- circular economy, including implementation of the Deposit Return Scheme
- cross-government co-ordination of infrastructure (policy, investment and commission)
- cross-government delivery of 20-minute neighbourhoods
- renewable energy industries
- energy and energy consents
- energy efficiency
- National Public Energy Agency
- heating and domestic energy transformation
- heat networks
- fuel poverty
- physical and marine environment
- flood prevention and coastal erosion
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Zero Waste Scotland
- water quality and Scottish Water
- Strategic Transport Projects Review
- See the latest news on net zero, energy and transport
- Follow @ScotGovNetZero, @ScotGovEnergy on Twitter
- Minister for Environment, Biodiversity and Land Reform
- Minister for Transport
- Minister for Just Transition, Employment and Fair Work
- Minister for Zero Carbon Buildings, Active Travel and Tenants’ Rights
- Minister for Green Skills, Circular Economy and Biodiversity
He was born in Glasgow in 1970 and educated at St John Bosco Secondary School. He went on to study at Queen Margaret College, Edinburgh, where he obtained a BSc in Occupational Therapy. He also holds a BA and a Diploma in Applied Social Sciences from the Open University.
Prior to becoming an MSP, Mr Matheson practised as a Community Occupational Therapist with Stirling Council, Central Regional Council, and Highland Regional Council.
He was elected as the MSP for Falkirk West following the May 2007 elections. Prior to this, he was a Regional MSP for Central Scotland from 1999 to 2007. Before being appointed Minister for Public Health and Sport, Mr Matheson was Vice Convenor of the European and External Relations Committee. He also sat on the Scottish Parliament's Health and Sport Committee, and previously served on the Justice and Enterprise and Culture Committees. Michael Matheson was appointed Cabinet Secretary for Justice in November 2014 and reappointed in May 2016. He was appointed Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity in June 2018.
- Read more about Michael Matheson on the Scottish Parliament website.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback