Shirley Rogers was appointed as Director of Health Workforce in May 2012.
The Director of Health Workforce is responsible for workforce sustainability, pay, terms and conditions of service, pensions, workforce planning, reshaping medical careers, and the sponsorship of NHS Education for Scotland.
Shirley is also responsible for chairing, co-chairing or attending the following:
- Everyone Matters Implementation Group
- Health and Social Care Management Board
- HR Executive Strategic Forum
- Integration of Health and Social Care Short Life Working Group
- NHS Leadership Advisory Board
- Scottish Academy, DG Health and NHSScotland Group
- Scottish Partnership Forum
- Staff Workforce Advisory Group
Shirley has led the development and implementation of Everyone Matters, the 20:20 Workforce Vision for NHSScotland and currently chairs the Scottish Government Task Force on Seven Day Services.
Shirley has been an HR professional for almost 30 years. After graduating with an Honours Degree from Newcastle University in 1986, she began her career working in Central Government in London.
From there she moved to the private sector and the Police Service before joining NHSScotland in 1996 as Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development for the Scottish Ambulance Service.
Shirley also holds a Masters Degree in Human Resource Management and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.