Eleanor Ryan took on the new role of Director of Budget and Sustainability in April 2018.
The director for Budget and Sustainability is responsible for:
- overseeing the Budget and Sustainability Directorate, which advises on the Scottish Budget and ensures sustainable public finances
The director is also a member of the Scottish Government Remuneration Group and Exchequer Board.
Eleanor joined the Scottish Government in March 1998 from HM Treasury. Her previous posts in Scotland include:
- Director of Financial Strategy
- Chief Executive of Revenue Scotland
- Deputy Director, New Educational Developments
- Chief Executive of the Scottish Court Service (now the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service)
Eleanor grew up on the Isle of Arran and attended Arran High School before studying Mathematics and Statistics at St Andrews University.