Telephone: +44 (0)131 244 2408
Address: Marine Scotland, Freshwater Fisheries Laboratory, Faskally, Pitlochry, PH16 5LB, Scotland, UK
In general terms I am interested in the genetic of salmonid fish, with primary focus on Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). I am interested in understanding the salmon genome and using this knowledge to help inform sustainable management of the species. Within the broad topic area my particular focuses currently include:
- Understanding the population structure of salmon in Scotland and the Eastern Atlantic area
- Individual assignment of fish in the marine environment to their river of origin and mixed stock analysis of salmon fisheries
- Interactions of wild and cultured salmon
- Quantifying potential interactions of migrating salmon with marine renewable resources
I collaborate with a wide range of individuals in Government agencies (SEPA, SNH, EA, CEFAS), fisheries trusts and universities. My primary international collaborations at present are with the Institute of Marine Research (IMR) in Bergen, Norway (http://www.imr.no) and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU) in Stockholm, Sweden (http://www.slu.se).
External Committees and Responsibilities
I represent Scotland on the International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) expert Working Group on Application of Genetics in Fisheries and Mariculture (WGAGFM).
- Jensen AJ, Gilbey J, Friedland KD, et al. (2014) Increased understanding of the life history of a migratory fish gained by combining data on an individual’s ecology and its population of origin. Proceedings of the Royal Society, London.B. Submitted.
- Mork KA, Gilbey J, Hansen LP, et al. (2012) Modelling the migration of post-smolt Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) in the Northeast Atlantic. ICES Journal of Marine Science: Journal du Conseil 69, 8.
- Ellis, J.S., Gilbey, J., Armstrong, A., Balstad, T., Cauwelier, E., Cherbonnel, C., Consuegra, S., Coughlan, J., Cross, T.F., Crozier, W., Dilane, E., Ensung, D., Garcia de Leaniz, C., Garcia-Vazquez, E., Griffiths, A.M., Hindar, K., Hjorleifsdottir, S., Knox, D., Machado-Schiaffino, G., McGinnity, P., Meldrup, D., Nielsen, E.E., Olafsson, K., Primmer, C.R., Prodohl, P., Stradmeyer, L., Vaha, J.P., Verspoor, E., Wennevik, V., and Stevens, J.R. (2011). Microsatellite standardization and evaluation of genotyping error in a large multi-partner research programme for conservation of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Genetica 139: 353-367.
- Cauwelier, E., Gilbey, J., Jones, C., Noble, L., and Verspoor, E. (2012). Asymmetrical viability in backcrosses between highly divergent populations of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar): implications for conservation. Conservation Genetics: 1-5.
- McGinnity, P., De Eyto, E., Gilbey, J., Gargan, P., Roche, W., Stafford, T., McGarrigle, M., Ó′, MaoilÉIdigh, N., and Mills, P. (2012). A predictive model for estimating river habitat area using GIS derived catchment and river variables. Fisheries Management and Ecology 19(1): 69-77.