The European Commission and Norway implement a Juvenile Real Time Closure (JRTC) system in the North Sea and Skagerrak. The scheme has been in place since 01 September 2009 for juvenile Cod, Haddock, Saithe and Whiting. Please visit the Eurlex website for more information.
Closures shall apply equally to all vessels operating in the area.
The details are as follows:
- Closures shall be based only on information gathered during inspections at sea conducted by authorised inspectors and published on this website
- Fish below the following sizes shall be regarded as juveniles:
- Cod: 35 cm
- Haddock: 30 cm
- Saithe: 35 cm
- Whiting: 27 cm
- The trigger level shall be 10% by weight of the total of the four species, calculated from a 200 kg sample. However, if the quantity of Cod exceeds 75% of the total, the trigger level shall be 7.5%.
- Samples shall only be taken when it is estimated that at least 200 kg of Cod, Haddock, Saithe and Whiting are present in one haul.
- The area shall be closed to fishing for 21 days and automatically re-opened at midnight UTC when the period has expired.
- Pelagic trawls, purse seines, driftnets and jiggers targeting Herring, Mackerel, Horse mackerel, pots and scallop dredges may be used inside the area. Gillnets may be used if the mesh size is in accordance with technical regulations applicable in the fisheries for Cod, Haddock, Saithe and Whiting.