We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

Energy Consents - How to apply

Applications to construct and operate power stations and power lines over a certain capacity are made to Scottish Ministers under sections 36 and 37 of the Electricity Act 1989. Applications should be made directly to the Scottish Goverments's Local Energy and Consents or Marine Scotland.

Contact the Energy Consents Unit for applications to be considered by Scottish Ministers where they are:

  • for generating stations in excess of 50 megawatts (MW), located on land
  • for overhead power lines and associated infrastructure, as well as large gas and oil pipelines

Such applications cover new developments as well as modifications to existing developments. Applications below these thresholds are made to the relevant local planning authority. 




Energy Consents Unit
Scottish Government
5 Atlantic Quay
150 Broomielaw
G2 8LU

Applicants and agents can apply for consent online at the Energy Consents Unit website www.energyconsents.scot click here to register.

The procedure for submitting an application for consent and the publicity requirements are set out in our application pack for onshore development.

Contact Marine Scotland for applications to be considered by Scottish Ministers where they are:

  • for offshore wind farms and wave or tidal electricity generating devices




+44 (0)1224 295579


Marine Scotland
Licensing Operations Team
375 Victoria Road
AB11 9DB