We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

What to do after a death in Scotland ... practical advice for times of bereavement: 11th Edition



You may qualify for benefit help if you are:

  • a widow, widower or surviving civil partner
  • or if you have established or can establish under Scots law a marriage by cohabitation with habit and repute.

This includes bereavement benefits, and extra benefit or pension that widows, widowers and surviving civil partners may get on their husband's, wife's or civil partner's National Insurance record.

You may also be able to get help if:

  • you are responsible for arranging the funeral (get claim pack SF 200 from your local Jobcentre Plus)
  • you have a low income (you may also get help with NHS health costs)
  • you are bringing up a child on your own
  • your baby was stillborn
  • the person who died was a war pensioner.

For more details of benefits you should contact your local Jobcentre Plus or visit the Government, citizens and rights/registering life events section of the government website www.direct.gov.uk.