We are testing a new beta website for gov.scot go to new site

A Guide to Planning Appeals in Scotland


4 How do I make an appeal?

There are several different ways to make an appeal.

  • ePlanning: online appeal form
    You can use the online appeal function through the ePlanning website (http://www.eplanning.scot), which takes you through the various sections of the appeal form, allowing you to add attachments and then send the appeal through to the Scottish Government's Planning and Environmental Appeals Division (DPEA) by clicking on the 'send' button.
  • Scottish Government website
    Appeal forms and guidance notes are available from the DPEA pages of the Scottish Government website (http://www.gov.scot/topics/planning/appeals). The forms can either be completed electronically or printed and filled out by hand. They can be e-mailed to DPEA - contact us if you have any questions about sending attachments with your e-mail. Alternatively, all of this paperwork can be sent by post. The DPEA address and other contact information are given at the end of this guide.
  • Paper form
    You can telephone or write to DPEA to request paper copies of the appeal form and relevant guidance notes, which will be sent out to you - normally on the day of your request. You can then complete the form and return it to DPEA along with copies of any supporting documents.

Whichever method used, when you make an appeal you must send a copy of it to the council at the same time as you send it to DPEA. This is done automatically when you make an appeal through the ePlanning online appeal system.